• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're intending to leave Prosperity4 before the date listed in your contract with them, then best of luck. Avoiding them like the plague in the first place would have been much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
      I think it looked to most that you were advising that one should not use own Ltd as that way you pay more tax than with an umbrella. Are you now saying that is not the advice you were giving?
      Oh.

My.

God.

That was not advice. It was a statement, based on experience. If going with a Ltd company works for you, great. For the thousands of people who go with umbrellas, also great.

Being as in my last couple of years as director of my own Ltd company I ended up paying over £25k each year in corporation tax, then I chose to do the latter. Different strokes. Different folks. (And that's not advice. It's just a saying.)

Comment

Being as in my last couple of years as director of my own Ltd company I ended up paying over £25k each year in corporation tax, then I chose to do the latter. Different strokes. Different folks
        OK. So since the umbrella and the LtdCo live in the same tax environment, subject to the same rules and regulations, and you don't have to pay anyone to run your limited whereas an umbrella costs you 5%-10% service charges, then how do you explain an umbrella returning a greater net income than your own company other than because of your own incompetence, if we don't assume imaginative accounting?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Faust
          That was not advice. It was a statement, based on experience. If going with a Ltd company works for you, great. For the thousands of people who go with umbrellas, also great.
          Come on, Faust. You can't in reply to someone being advised to go own Ltd say "but own Ltds pay more tax" and then claim that isn't advice, "just a statement".

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
            Come on, Faust. You can't in reply to someone being advised to go own Ltd say "but own Ltds pay more tax" and then claim that isn't advice, "just a statement".
            And an incorrect statement at that.
            I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
              OK. So since the umbrella and the LtdCo live in the same tax environment, subject to the same rules and regulations, and you don't have to pay anyone to run your limited whereas an umbrella costs you 5%-10% service charges, then how do you explain an umbrella returning a greater net income than your own company other than because of your own incompetence, if we don't assume imaginative accounting?
              Who pays the accountant when you're running you're own ltd?

And 5%-10% for an umbrella company??? £50 a month fixed fee more like.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Faust was the OP.

He wasn't offering advice to himself - he just had a cr@p accountant.

HTH
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                  Who pays the accountant when you're running you're own ltd?

And 5%-10% for an umbrella company??? £50 a month fixed fee more like.
                  You'd have to be on a pretty crap rate for £50 a month to look like bad value compared to a standard 5ish% brolly fee.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                    You'd have to be on a pretty crap rate for £50 a month to look like bad value compared to a standard 5ish% brolly fee.
                    I meant 5-10% is far too much to be paying for a brolly when a lot of them charge about £50 fixed.

Or maybe thats what you meant.. its late and i'm tired
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Possibly - to put it in perspective, my accountant's fees a year are about two days gross income out of an average 200 chargeable, so that's 1%. I've yet to see any umbrella/comp/managed company deal that would meet that - but then I would never use such a beast myself and haven't done a lot of research.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X