• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Over qualified? Oh dear!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
    So ask the agent to suggest to the Client that you fill the Junior role until such time as the Senior role gets sign off, then you can assist the Client in the hiring of a junior to backfill your position as you move to the Senior role.
    You'll be better placed to do the Senior role having done a few weeks/months at the 'coal face first' - its a "Win-Win" for everyone right??? (bit of a permie tactic though)
    You are not quite getting the grasp of this thread are you?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are not quite getting the grasp of this thread are you?
      Care to clarify why??

Comment

Care to clarify why??
        The thread is about the OP and other posters not being able to secure a particular gig because they are over qualified. How is asking the client to put him in to role he is over qualified help? It is the whole point of the thread that this doesn't work.

Comment

...get it on here...
          For some reason, I read that in a Barry White voice and thought we were turning into a dating site...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The thread is about the OP and other posters not being able to secure a particular gig because they are over qualified. How is asking the client to put him in to role he is over qualified help? It is the whole point of the thread that this doesn't work.
            And if you read the original post again, the OP would like to take the role as its the one he applied for anyway, but it seems likely he will now not be considered for the role he applied for due to being "over qualified".
            My suggestion was a means to get him into the role he applied for (and billing), until such time as the more senior role get sign off. at whcih point he would assit in replacing himself and take a rate rise to move to the senior role.

Whats wrong with that approach?? surely even you can see that its better to be billing for a junior role and getting friendly with the client, gesaring up for a senior role than to be waiting about for a senior role that may never get signed off??

If you havent mastered the skills to manipulate your agent/clients to allow you to take a role youve been rejected for then maybe youre not cut out to be a contractor??

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              For some reason, I read that in a Barry White voice and thought we were turning into a dating site...
              Either that or an episode from Ally McBeal.

Do you keep seeing dancing babies???

Comment

Whats wrong with that approach?? surely even you can see that its better to be billing for a junior role and getting friendly with the client, gesaring up for a senior role than to be waiting about for a senior role that may never get signed off??
                Because it is not what the client wants. Doesn't matter what is right/makes sense etc if it the client won't swallow it.

If you havent mastered the skills to manipulate your agent/clients to allow you to take a role youve been rejected for then maybe youre not cut out to be a contractor??

Comment

By the sound of it you haven't got the junior role for whatever reason the client decides. By all means keep in touch with the agent about a senior role but I tend to find when they say 'something suitable for you might appear soon' they are either being overly kind or overly optimistic.

In other words, continue looking elsewhere.

Comment

Posting here as more relevant

Not sure can be off topic so ignore if you want. Recently spoke to a potential new Client - 1-2 days / week role. Client liked the CV and good discussion. Given them a lot of ideas how things are done in my area of expertise- Security/Controls/Risks/Compliance Implementations. However client feedback came as I was over qualified. (Big4 -13 Years, SM on Director Path, coming out of permanent job in July) What did I do wrong? What ticked that off? Also worth getting back to Client (directly or through Agent) just to explain more? I have couple of similar contracts roles (part time as what I am looking) already signed so wondering what went wrong. Desperately need the money as I am building some futuristic tools which has a good burning rate of resources.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      This sadly happens to me once in a while. Usually when the interview is not by the manager or person hiring (I generally get those), but by other members of the team who you will be working with. They come in pairs, and generally one of them will be the team lead and have a superiority complex. He will be the one who has read your CV and has decided you are a potential threat to his position. He's the one you need to get around somehow and I've never quite figured out how to do it....
                      Exactly happened with my experience yesterday as I have posted above. After explaining I have designed Security Strategy for at least 10 FTSE100 companies, one of the pair from US kept asking how much experience you have in this.

Comment

Working...
                      X