• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract handover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I handed over myprevious contract to another contractor. He didn't charge the the one day handover. Are you likely to get future work from company or any other contacts there? Doing a 1 day free of charge could make you look like a great contractor for future work!
    2 week handover period. Unpaid.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

You're checking out. Anything outside the scope of your contract is billable.
      With minor caveats around being professional, I agree - some overtime can be considered part of what's reasonable, but not driving yourself into another illness

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Play hardball when you have 1 invoice and one timesheet outstanding?
      Irrelevant if you don't break the contract. The invoice issued is not even open for negotiation and you can get prepared to play hard on that too.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

1 day. Professional.

2 weeks. Mug.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          1 day. Professional.

2 weeks. Mug.
          Give 'em an inch....and you'll need to change your phone number!

This isn't your problem, screw them. They've stupidly taken the word of an offshore house that supplies BPM accredited developers, that are graduates who get handed a number of cheat sheets to go and sit Pega PRC Architect exams (hence the re-vamp of the certification program) and sell them out as experts.

Stick to your guns and if you've any sense you'll get some agreement for on-going ad-hoc support set up at your current rate * 1.5 billable in minimum of half day chunks with a stipulation of upfront payment based on them screwing you around this month.

They can take it or leave it.

If you want to be professional, start the handover documentation now, complete it thoroughly and it's the incumbrants problem when they pick it up.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

2 weeks!?!?!??!

You're original post said "2 day rates" which I assumed was 2 days!

chancing ****ers!!

Comment

My first contract was with the small consultancy I had been employed by for a number of years. As part of that I was Account Manager for a number of high profile customers and we charged for everything. Meetings, travel, discussions, phone calls etc as well as the actual dev work we did. If it went over, then we charged.

When I quit in an act of petulance and walked out. A client insisted I went back and finished the work. The consultancy offered to get someone else, the client insisted.

So I then negotiated terms with the consultancy I had left. At the time £500 per day(£500 was what we charged them as a consultancy for my time), and bearing in mind I'd quit a good £28k per year job with car(having been out of Uni for a few years) I was chuffed.

The work was finished in the agreed timescale and to the agreed quote. Then came a phone call 'Could you just pop in and....' - Yep. £500 for that meeting. Yes, £500 for that change! Yes £500 per day for the handover.

Obviously they went mental. But as I pointed out, it wasn't in the original terms and an extra £5k later in my pocket that handover was complete. I earnt more in one summer than I did the previous year as a permie, paid off every loan I had and a contractor was born. On the downside the owner of the small consultancy hated me with a passion, I never got a reference and ten years later when I bumped into him he still refuses to talk to me. A small price.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

That's a lovely story to warm the cockles of every contractor's heart!

Comment

2 week handover on a 3 month bit of work that isn't finished.

They are taking you for a ride mate.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Isn't it amazing that KittyCat and Factgasm are treated as obvious trolls and yet SY spins an even more incredulous story and everyone buys it?

It's clearly the consultancy's fault for hiring a developer as a BPM.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      2 week handover on a 3 month bit of work that isn't finished.

They are taking you for a ride mate.
                      Agent : So did you think about what we talked about?
                      Suity : Yep

Agent : And what did you decide?
                      Suity : Well I'm quite happy being paid for developing and design work, so I'll pass on the offer of FOC handover work.

Agent : You have to do handovers, it's in your contract.
                      Suity : Er, no, no it isn't. Of course I'd like to do handovers, being a good professional and all, but not for free. I'll of course try and leave some notes for the new guy.

Agent went mental.

I sent an email to him and consultancy guy asking for a face 2 face meeting to thrash this out as I was getting conflicting statements. Not heard another thing.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X