• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract handover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You've answered your own question.

The fixed term deliverable was not scoped by you or you are tied contractually. Therefore don't care about it.

Don't do any overtime.
    Don't do anything outside your scope.
    Don't take any responsibility.

Now is the time to play pure hardball.

You're checking out. Anything outside the scope of your contract is billable.
    Play hardball when you have 1 invoice and one timesheet outstanding?

I predict I will have to work hard to get my money with a string of excuses and blamestorming to follow shortly.

I need to have an ace in the sleeve it feels like.

And playing hardball? MF, dahlink, you know me better than that.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

I predict I will have to work hard to get my money with a string of excuses and blamestorming to follow shortly.

So, you seem reluctant to play hardball as you have a single invoice outstanding? Yet you are also whinging that they appear to expect you to do a hand over FOC during your notice period?

Are you a man or a mouse FFS?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Keep the end clients on side though. Once they discover the mess they have paid for chances are they will want someone who knows the system to fix it and after telling the consultancy to b*****r off you could be their first point of call.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          So, you seem reluctant to play hardball as you have a single invoice outstanding? Yet you are also whinging that they appear to expect you to do a hand over FOC during your notice period?

Are you a man or a mouse FFS?
          I'm suity. This currently entails trying to shut out all this nonsense so I can try and focus on the real work and digging this project out of the tulipe. All very honourable but ultimately going to end up with me getting shafted.

Suity is probably mouselike. Any tips on manning up?

Comment

I'm suity. This currently entails trying to shut out all this nonsense so I can try and focus on the real work and digging this project out of the tulipe. All very honourable but ultimately going to end up with me getting shafted.

Suity is probably mouselike. Any tips on manning up?
            Annoyingly I agree with Bolshie.

Being conscientious is all very good but when it comes to a hiding to nothing!

So to whit the answer to the question

'Are you a man or a mouse?'

The answer is. A mug.
            Last edited by MarillionFan; 20 December 2011, 08:21. Reason: spelling
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Er... yes.

Not necessarily. Do not get involved in any discussions. State simply what you will do - either by paid for hand-over or a written handover. Their choice. If the timesheet doesn't get signed, invoice anyway. The basic principle is that if you've done the work, you get paid. Withholding payment, even without a signed timesheet, is very unlikely to impress a judge.

So. Invoice. Assuming 30 days payment terms, after 40 days issue a reminder. After 50 days issue a reminder. After 60 days, issue a final demand - copy to the home addresses of the Directors of the company, if you can get them from Co. House. After 70 days begin legal action.

Don't be stressed about it, just follow the procedure. And as of NOW keep records of what you do day to day, should anyone try to muddy the water by claiming that your work or behaviour is substandard - copies of all emails and a daily diary should be sufficient.

Chances are you won't need it, but just in case...
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

The fixed term deliverable was not scoped by you or you are tied contractually. Therefore don't care about it.

That is the essence of it. They (the agent or the consultancy) took the business risk of fixed price. You didn't. Now that the risk shows its downside, they want you to take it from them.

No reason why you should.
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Did you sign the opt out? If you didn't then don't worry about not getting paid. You can now start sending letters of late payment. If you have signed the opt out, then tough luck.

Btw, if the client wants you to do some free handover, how quickly can you do it? I dont know what stage are you leaving the project, but if you can do some documentation right now, and then do a handover for couple of hours to the new guy coming in. Everyone happy...

Comment

Contracturally today is pay day for November. Invoice was issued in 01/12 along with signed time sheet.

Guess what?

So now they are in material breach, right?

Comment

I handed over myprevious contract to another contractor. He didn't charge the the one day handover. Are you likely to get future work from company or any other contacts there? Doing a 1 day free of charge could make you look like a great contractor for future work!

Comment

Working...
                      X