• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Europe 'loading' factor....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Europe 'loading' factor....

Although I'm 'in contract' - with a two week notice either way clause, and whilst I'm reasonably happy here I've had this agent on constantly trying to prise me away for a role in Germany.

Ordinarily, I'd be interested, but not now, but the rate keeps going up and up as I turn it down so I just wonder, to those who have contracted abroad, what your 'loading' is? I factored in flight/accom etc, plus a bit but of course this does not take into account the 'not being at home' factor.

I wouldn't do it not worth the hassle of flying back and forth, not if you're reasonably happy where you are.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It like to do it at some point, I believe the experience of working and living in another county even for just a short time will be very beneficial to me, however I don't think the time is right at the moment as I would like to have a sufficient enough warchest to make it a travel thing with working rather than a work thing with a bit of travelling thrown in
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Ordinarily, I'd be interested, but not now, but the rate keeps going up and up as I turn it down so I just wonder, to those who have contracted abroad, what your 'loading' is? I factored in flight/accom etc, plus a bit but of course this does not take into account the 'not being at home' factor.
        UK rate + 50%. Seriously. Hence I don't contract overseas much.

I'm based in London and rent a real nice place very cheaply. Your circumstances may be very different, so you'll have to do your own calculations. Surely only you know the circumstances you are in, so only you can calculate the "loading"? I mean, you are supposed to be running a business here...
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          UK rate + 50%. Seriously. Hence I don't contract overseas much.

I'm based in London and rent a real nice place very cheaply. Your circumstances may be very different, so you'll have to do your own calculations. Surely only you know the circumstances you are in, so only you can calculate the "loading"? I mean, you are supposed to be running a business here...
          I know how much extra it will cost me, that just gets me at par with current role - I was just wondering what everyone else did for the somewhat intangable 'not being at home' factor, sort of a reverse of how much you'll drop your rate for WHF!

Anyway, agent has abandoned me now, obviously priced myself out of the running!

Comment

Across the 'border' in England + 200% :-)
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I'm married with a kid, so I'll happily drop my rate by 50% to be abroad

Seriously, depends on your circumstances, travelling gets very wearing very quickly. If you don't have to come home, then it's a great experience and worth losing a little cash for a good life experience. It also of course depends on whethr your skills are worth any sort of uplift in your chosen country. Those Johnny Foriegners are getting the hang of most technologies pretty well now.

Up to you, ultimately.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Across the 'border' in England + 200% :-)
                What would that put you on, £100pd?

Comment

It's a personal opinion, i.e. every answer you get will be different. You can think of your business or you can think of your personal life.

There was a time when I would have had to travel anywhere for work, simply due to the fact that I was the money maker in the family. I'm now much more fortunate in that I can choose where to work, and I choose to remain close to my family - heck I miss my kids the 12 hours I'm out of the house each day.

Europe pays abhorrent rates from what I have seen, in my tech anyway - we're talking 400 Euros, out of which I would have to pay my own flights/hotel/food etc... leaving me with what £200 a day? And taking me away from home all week. No thanks.

In any case I wouldn't enjoy working in Europe, though as a family we've thought about farther afield, just for the experience - in which case money is far less important.

Comment

Working...
                  X