• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors - Your Turn!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is moaning about not having word, then zip that gob up. You can use OpenOffice to create word documents without any problems (which is what I do). Not only that, it exports PDFs. Both problems solved.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
      No. Word is the "Microsoft standard" for transferring documents. If, like me, you don't use Microsoft software anywhere in your business, then you're SOOL since I'm not going to purchase a copy of Windows and Word just so I can send you my CV in your chosen format.
      The Microsoft Word standard is the de facto industry standard. 99% of real-world clients are using it, like it or not. If I were a recruiter I'd be steering clear of a business that chooses to ignore this because of some misguided sense of sandal-wearing nerd principle.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
        The Microsoft Word standard is the de facto industry standard. 99% of real-world clients are using it, like it or not. If I were a recruiter I'd be steering clear of a business that chooses to ignore this because of some misguided sense of sandal-wearing nerd principle.
        I don't own a copy of Windows or Word. How hard is that to understand? Why should I have to buy it just because you were foolish enough to fall for that "de facto" bullsh*t? A real standard should be open and accessible to everyone. Why doesn't Microsoft support the OASIS Open Document format, or even have a filter in Word to read/write in that format? Because they want to tie you in to their format to make more money off you. I, for one, am not that much of a sucker. Every time they upgrade their format, you'll have to buy another license just to keep up. That makes business sense to Microsoft, but it sure as hell doesn't make business sense for me.

I do use OpenOffice however, which does export to Word format, but sometimes the results don't quite look right so I refuse to do it. I took a long time to design my CV and if a PDF isn't good enough then it's just tough. I've yet to be out of work because of it.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          I took a long time to design my CV and if a PDF isn't good enough then it's just tough. I've yet to be out of work because of it.
          Lets face it.. if my client requests that he wants the applicants CV in either Doc RTF or PDF its no great hassle for me. If you send in PDF and he requires in Doc then I’ll just convert it, doesn't take long, no need for the contractor to have to redo this.
          Morning by the way

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Word... it's a, wait for it, non standard standard...
            Yeah very true - although not quite as standard or as bad as those poor monkeys who run their entire business from Excel!

Comment

Hey! I know a rather large injection moulding company ran their entire operation from Wordstar.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Hey! I know a rather large injection moulding company ran their entire operation from Wordstar.
                God - I had something like that a few years ago. They were running their entire accounts and fulfillment off Acorn VIEWsheet... even more arcane.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  Yeah very true - although not quite as standard or as bad as those poor monkeys who run their entire business from Excel!
                  That's me!!
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                    That's me!!
                    I'd send you some booze to drown your sorrows with but the wife has spent everything I earned.

Comment

Originally posted by Town&CityConsulting
                      Lets face it.. if my client requests that he wants the applicants CV in either Doc RTF or PDF its no great hassle for me. If you send in PDF and he requires in Doc then I’ll just convert it, doesn't take long, no need for the contractor to have to redo this.
                      Morning by the way
                      Excuse me... you are only allowed to alter a CV if the contractor agrees to it. It is covered under copyright law

Comment

Working...
                      X