• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get rid of 2nd tier agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get rid of 2nd tier agency?

Hi all

Currently I have two agencies between me and the client. Agency A is the preferred supplier for the client, and Agency B was used because A couldn't find a placement (me).

I want to get rid of B. They've had over 3 years out of me and do nothing other than payroll. Not even a lunch unless I push them.

There's a 'restrictive covenant' clause in the contract which states any transfer to another employment business with the same end client, or customer of the end client, in the same or similar role, requires a 25% of annual salary or £15k fee to be paid, by the supplier and representative.

Would this hold water? I don't know if being a PCG+ member would help at all.

Thanks

Originally posted by co_sjo View Post
    Would this hold water?
    Probably

I don't know if being a PCG+ member would help at all.
    It would give you a legal helpline to ring which would give you real advice
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hi all

Currently I have two agencies between me and the client. Agency A is the preferred supplier for the client, and Agency B was used because A couldn't find a placement (me).

I want to get rid of B. They've had over 3 years out of me and do nothing other than payroll. Not even a lunch unless I push them.

There's a 'restrictive covenant' clause in the contract which states any transfer to another employment business with the same end client, or customer of the end client, in the same or similar role, requires a 25% of annual salary or £15k fee to be paid, by the supplier and representative.

Thanks
      Ermm, Agency B don't do nothing, they are the ones with the work and they are the ones paying you. Clearly you can take them out of the loop, all you have to do is stump up £15k. I suspect you won't save that much by dropping them, it's not like thier margin will be added to your rate, it will only be removed from the end client's charges.

And why do you think PCG Plus would help? Obviously use the members' free legal helpline or post the question on their fora to get an authoritative answer, but that's it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you've been there three years and you're just getting discontented now then is it REALLY a big enough issue that you want to mess around with contractual terms?

If you're happy with the rate and payment terms, Agency B is happy with their cut, Agency A is happy with their cut and the Client is happy with you and Agency A's performance then why mess with a relationship that works?

Comment

I am in the same situation, not much you can do realy, if Agency B got the work in the first place and your contract says you cannot work direct. and presumably they pay you on time and they cause you no bother

your only option is leave or renegotiate the rate

and as others say 3 years in is a bit late in the day to be worried about it now

Comment

Hi all

Thanks
            You're not going to be paid any more money even if you do manage to ditch the tier B agent. so why cause aggravation for yourself.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Did you opt out of the Agency Regulations?

Did the agency do everything correctly if they did getyou to opt out?

If you didn't opt out then you quite both agencies for a lesser fee than 15K, I think it is the agency margin over 13 weeks which would be the cost and then go direct - if the clienttakes direct contractors.

Comment

Fortunately Agency B released me from contract with no consequences and agency A is passing the difference on.

Comment

Fortunately Agency B released me from contract with no consequences and agency A is passing the difference on.
                  Huh? Then you woke up!

Comment

Working...
                  X