• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a Central Hub Website for contractors.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a Central Hub Website for contractors.

Hi I have just joined the forums today in need of infomation regarding contractors and Ltd companies ability to advertise directly to potential customers to cut out the middle man, thus making the provider cheaper for the customer whilst gaining more for themselve. would anyone happen to know one or would it be a good idea for someone to provide one?

Originally posted by Mearcat View Post
    Hi I have just joined the forums today in need of infomation regarding contractors and Ltd companies ability to advertise directly to potential customers to cut out the middle man, thus making the provider cheaper for the customer whilst gaining more for themselve. would anyone happen to know one or would it be a good idea for someone to provide one?
    The reason why companies use agencies is to allow them to effectively outsource the lowest levels of their HR Recruitment function for permie recruitment and all of them for contractor engagement. Although there's significant merit in your idea, for this to function would require clients to have some manner of sifting experience and the time to get through the inevitable dross.

At present, a client goes to an agency saying "get me 3 quality CVs for x task", agency does the sifting to get what they think are the best 3 contractors they can find (how they do this, quality and selfish needs are a different story). That suits client managers who don't have the time to do that CV gathering, sifting, contract negotiation, etc.

Comment

Not used it myself, but apparently some companies are recruiting via LinkedIn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mearcat View Post
        This subject has arisen many times. Several issues with the 'direct' approach. Use search for some good feedback on them.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          T

At present, a client goes to an agency saying "get me 3 quality CVs for x task", agency does the sifting to get what they think are the best 3 contractors they can find
          Surely the 3 contractors they think they can make the most money from?

Wouldn't the best three contractors be binned because they would likely charge the agent more, leaving them with less margin?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Wouldn't the best three contractors be binned because they would likely charge the agent more, leaving them with less margin?
            That's why I put the bit in brackets that you left off

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Competition between agencies should eliminate that, as the other agency will but the best CV forward to get the contract.

A problem with the direct approach is that it won't help me find contracts. I don't have the time or skills to be phoning potential clients and blagging my way through to the decision maker. I have worked directly, but through clients I've known already.

Comment

Going direct is a nice idea and some people on here are very successful at working that way however for the majority i think its quite difficult and as someone else said its a lot of time spent chasing.

On the 2 previous occasions i have been in a position to go direct the first would not put me on their prefered supplier list so i had to go through their approved agent even when i explained it would be cheaper for them (and i would have been on a better rate)

And the second time i suggested it the manager said its a good idea but you will struggle to get paid on time, basically meaning i would be at the mercy of their accounts department and could be looking at 90 days to get paid rather than let the agency take the hit and i get my money every week from the them

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  On the 2 previous occasions i have been in a position to go direct the first would not put me on their prefered supplier list so i had to go through their approved agent even when i explained it would be cheaper for them (and i would have been on a better rate)
                  Bizarrely, they don't care. They would rather pay a 5-7% premium on the rate for someone else to manage the payments for them. Unbelievable really.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

The idea of a "contractor run agency" has been floated before - have people who actually know what they're on about running the show, etc. To customers though, it'll just be another agency won't it?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X