• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double your money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double your money

Hi guys. Ok this is the thing. Spent 5 weeks on the bench, then got offered a 3 monther at reputable firm in canary wharf. Only downside was the rate is the lowest I've ever taken....started contract 3 weeks ago and have done about 3 hours work total in that time. Think the project has been delayed but doing nothing isn't really how I roll and it's really beginning to grind.*

In the meantime I have had interest from another firm offering double the *current rate at client co. double!

Do I go for the money and leave contract early. I know leaving early is faux pas but this is double the money for the same duration. Would I be mad not to take it in the name of 'doing the right thing' and staying at client co?

I'm really torn.

3 hours in 3 weeks for a low rate!!!!

Start at the new company asap.

IMHO, Happiness not guaranteed.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

<Placeholder>

NLUK Serious Rant

</Placeholder>
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

From the look of things you may get axed soon anyway, as soon as ppl realise you're doing nothing.
        I'd say go and tell them that you have nothing useful to do and therefore you're leaving and that you'll be happy working for them in the future provided that they give at least double the amount of work and double the amount of money.

Comment

Here's the five answers that you'll get from everyone, in one nice, easy to read post.

1 - Why are you asking a bunch of strangers on the internet? Start acting like a business and make your own decisions, as only you know what the impact of this will be on you / your business / your family. No-one here is going to hold your hand.

2 - Have you tried searching, this has been done to death on here in the past? Northernladuk

3 - If you leave now, you'll be blacklisted, never work for the client again, never work for the agency again. It's people like you that give contractors a bad name. You're a disgrace. It's a small world out there, expect never to work in this field again. How would you feel if you engaged a builder to do some work, and they ran off as soon as they got a better offer?

4 - You're a business, so start acting like it. No-one else is going to look after you, so you need to look after number one. Jump into the new contract, fill your boots etc. There's no such thing as a blacklist, so the agency will threaten it but as soon as they need you, they'll be on the phone like a shot.

5 - Take the new job, exercise your right of substitution and get a replacement into the other one. It's in your contract, right? So use it, make everyone happy and make some money out of the situation.

Mods - since I've covered all eventualities, can we lock this thread now?
          Last edited by TheFaQQer; 20 October 2011, 11:21. Reason: Added the builder analogy :)
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            <Placeholder>

NLUK Serious Rant

</Placeholder>
            I think I've covered that one for him
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I think I've covered that one for him
              I feel empty and useless....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I feel empty and useless....
                Don't worry there'll be a newby along in a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Here's the five answers that you'll get from everyone, in one nice, easy to read post.

...snip...

Mods - since I've covered all eventualities, can we lock this thread now?
                  You missed the builder analogy

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    You missed the builder analogy
                    Don't know what you were reading - it's clear to anyone that there's a builder analogy in there!!
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X