• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

discussing rates with other contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a contract a few years ago and was in the incumbent contractor and had been there approx. 2 months and built good relationships etc - some flash contractor was brought in to do something else and on day 1 started giving it large to me about his rate etc etc and started quizzing me...not exactly in these words but told him to *uck off and *uck *y *ock as no better way to *iss off client (I'd worked for 2 months). Stupid *unt was fired after 2 weeks for been a total clueless *nob.

Comment

Never with Permies, and the higher the difference with them the worst it is. If they nag too much I tell them that they are not easily comparable because of Holidays, Liability Insurance, void periods and employer side contributions. I also tell them about that time I spent 4m looking for a renewal (and everywhere I've been, I have been technically one of the most experienced), which does scare the sh*t out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by aalvarez View Post
        Never with Permies, and the higher the difference with them the worst it is. If they nag too much I tell them that they are not easily comparable because of Holidays, Liability Insurance, void periods and employer side contributions. I also tell them about that time I spent 4m looking for a renewal (and everywhere I've been, I have been technically one of the most experienced), which does scare the sh*t out of them.
        Absolutely spot on.If a permie asks me what rate I'm on I start a massive preamble along the lines of "well, what you have to remember is that I pay accommodation and travel out of the rate, and I don't get sick pay or paid holidays, not that I'm complaining (after all its my choice to do this) but there isn't really any comparison" ... and after five minutes or so they generally get a glazed look in their eyes and walk away.

I have heard various theories about whether contractors should discuss rates with each other. You do get tosser contractors who see it as a status thing, but there is a view that all contractors should know exactly what rate they are one. Theory being that we then get to know more about the way a client operates, or which agents are screwing you, etc. Although my instinct is to keep it to myself.
        Thanks given - 0
        Thanks received - 0
        Likes given - 0
        Likes received - 0
        F*cks given - 0

Comment

Not even my family or close personal friends know how much I earn per day. Mostly because I don't want to explain that £x rate * 260 days is not the same as a salary of the same amount. Also they don't need to know. I've been pushed on it a few times and usually just answer "enough to make me happy".

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Not even my family or close personal friends know how much I earn per day. Mostly because I don't want to explain that £x rate * 260 days is not the same as a salary of the same amount. Also they don't need to know. I've been pushed on it a few times and usually just answer "enough to make me happy".
            My wife knows. No-one else in my family know.

When my dad moans about how I don't pay tax, and never seem to be in work, I just smile and point out that I've worked my 4 months of the year, so anything over that is a bonus, and ask when he is next going on holiday.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well I'm on minimum wage, me...

That what I tell permies!!

Comment

Doesnt bother me in the slightest. If people want to discuss, I'll happily discuss rates.

If people want to turn it into a pissing contest, that's up to them.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I never discuss my rate -ever. I anyone asks, I say 'discussions about money are the height of vulgarity' .

Besides its basic contractor 101

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
                    I never discuss my rate -ever. I anyone asks, I say 'discussions about money are the height of vulgarity' .

Besides its basic contractor 101
                    Actually contractor 101 is to say

"Look at my wodge"
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No I won't discuss rate. I have with two fellow contractors but only 'cos they were top blokes.
                      I do tend to end up with a permie asking me about going contracting though. That's my opportunity to talk about the extra taxes, bench time, lack of holidays/sickies etc. I'll then steer them in the direction of Jobswerve so they can price up their skills.
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X