• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking to original brief - or does he who pays the piper always call to tune?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking to original brief - or does he who pays the piper always call to tune?

"...always call the tune." (Why can't you change the title mods?)

Familiar story - brought in to write tech specs for Functional area A but spending more time correcting/completing a Business Spec. for Functional area B.

So I go to wondering - as a contractor can I insist on doing the job I was brought in to do? It hasn't gone away, its just that the other work was not finished.

Would a building site manager ask a carpenter to put down his saw and work on the blueprint for another building instead?

I we have no right to stick to the original project and just get treated like a permie then isn't the whole Ltd Co. / Agent / Contract stucture just a tax avoiding charade?

PS I have come into this BA role straight from a techie programming/SQL role with no previous pureplay BA experience.
    Recruiters' obsession (unless they know you) with what you have done previously, especially in the last 18months, is just a load of b*llocks.

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
    I we have no right to stick to the original project and just get treated like a permie then isn't the whole Ltd Co. / Agent / Contract stucture just a tax avoiding charade?
    IF you just sit there and do what your're told then yes, actually. You fail the "Direction and Control" test, dismally. You really should get the contract schedule amended, but you can also cover it with a written (or emailed) agreement that this extra work is additional to your original remit.

PS I have come into this BA role straight from a techie programming/SQL role with no previous pureplay BA experience.
    Recruiters' obsession (unless they know you) with what you have done previously, especially in the last 18months, is just a load of b*llocks.
    But since we're on clichés, "One swallow doth not a summer make". If I need a BA I hire a BA, not a coder with ambitions
    Last edited by malvolio; 6 October 2011, 08:46. Reason: sort the typing out!
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      IF you just sit there and do what your're told then yes, actually. You fail the "Direction and Control" test, dismally. You really should get the contract schedule amended, but you can also cover it with a written (or emailed) agreement that this extra work is additional to your original remit.
      Thanks I will reread my contract and have a chat with my agency (who are very good untypically)

But since we're on clichés, "One swallow doth not a summer make". If I need a BA I hire a BA, not a coder with ambitions
      Fair comment but how would contractors widen their experience in that jurisdiction? For myself I have bucketloads of experience as a techie in the line of business so its not as big a leap as implied, apols if I misled.

Comment

Fair comment but how would contractors widen their experience in that jurisdiction? For myself I have bucketloads of experience as a techie in the line of business so its not as big a leap as implied, apols if I misled.
        Strictly speaking, contractors shouldn't expect to. They get hired for their current job knowledge. Clearly though, we understand that many skills and areas of bsiness experience are transferable; just don't expect agencies to understand that!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you like it there.?

Strictly speaking, contractors shouldn't expect to. They get hired for their current job knowledge. Clearly though, we understand that many skills and areas of bsiness experience are transferable; just don't expect agencies to understand that!
          I have a few BA's reporting to me If one came along and said they no longer wanted to do BRD's and would only work on FD's they would get handed there notice.

Comment

I'd echo what tabera said. You could try to hold them to the original job but they won't just turn round and say OK why don't you do this instead. They will either tell you to get on with what you have been given or tell you that they simply can't bear the fact that you are unhappy in your work and then fire you.

Comment

Originally posted by anothercodemonkey View Post
              I'd echo what tabera said. You could try to hold them to the original job but they won't just turn round and say OK why don't you do this instead. They will either tell you to get on with what you have been given or tell you that they simply can't bear the fact that you are unhappy in your work and then fire you.
              A good rule of thumb is to listen to Tarbera then do the opposite.

HTH
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Of course not, none of us here are like that - we are all proper business people in business of our own account and fully IR35 compliant. Or something.

Take the builder analogy. If a builder is brought in on a fixed price job to tile a roof or build a brick wall then that's exactly what they do. But if they are brought in on a day rate to do some "building work" then they do what they are told to do AND they make it their business to identify other areas where they can do work for the customer.

Even if you are on a fixed job, you should always look for the upsell. If the client has scope creep or extras then keep an eye of the original deliverable but show yourself willing and able because it's usually good for business and could mean a contract extension.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X