• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quitting after one week...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting after one week...

Started at new clientco one week ago, and whilst its a good place, feel the role isn't quite me, was supposed to be 50/50 hands on/design, turns out its 0/100 so no Unix prompt but loads of Visio....

I can stick it out but....

When I accepted role I was waiting on another more suited role and now they've come back and offered me. Nearer home, some WFH and 100% in my comfort zone. And more money!

I have to give one week notice, so that's good, but I don't like dumping a contract, will be first time if I do it since I started in 1992.

I know what I'm gonna do, I'm taking it, but am I a bad boy?

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Started at new clientco one week ago, and whilst its a good place, feel the role isn't quite me, was supposed to be 50/50 hands on/design, turns out its 0/100 so no Unix prompt but loads of Visio....

I can stick it out but....

When I accepted role I was waiting on another more suited role and now they've come back and offered me. Nearer home, some WFH and 100% in my comfort zone. And more money!

I have to give one week notice, so that's good, but I don't like dumping a contract, will be first time if I do it since I started in 1992.

I know what I'm gonna do, I'm taking it, but am I a bad boy?
    Bit naughty jumping ship, but I've done it myself a couple of times in the past. And let's face it, if they had a sudden change of business plan, you'd be getting dropped like a stone.

At my current gig., they've just let 20% of their staff go, a mix of both contractors and permie. I was one of the lucky one's who landed an extension; it could have easily have been the other way round. As I say, when clients feel the need for change, they don't hesitate to do what's best for them.

I'm afraid these days it's look after number one. Simply do what's best for you (irrespective of all the advice you may now receive to the contrary. )
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Yeah, leaves a bad taste..

But my contract says one week both ways and I'm sure f I dont perform because I'm not cutting it because it's not my bag I'll be out....

Oddly enough I know someone who lives local to this role can and would do it, he was dead jel when I got this role, could do the sub bit or at least recommend him...

Will mull it all over over the weekend....

Comment

Doing it so early is less pain to the client and if the role is genuinely not what you agreed then he doesn't have a leg to stand on really. Not nice giving backword but so quickly with a genuine excuse doesn't get any better.

Just do it fast and be honest and jobs a good un.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep better to back out after only a week. Obviously get the other one signed and sealed... personally I would consider offering the current client some discount on the time spent if they kick off because in reality you probably haven't done £2-3k worth of work in the first week

Getting a sub might also work - this early in the question of having to train them up is a non-issue so if it saves them the hassle, worth a thought.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Stek if you'd been a newbie NL would have been all over you for being unprofessional above. He must have found 10p in the street at the weekend to be so nice.

End of the day, you have the notice period. So use it if not happy.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Stek if you'd been a newbie NL would have been all over you for being unprofessional above. He must have found 10p in the street at the weekend to be so nice.

End of the day, you have the notice period. So use it if not happy.
              Aye thats very true but Stek isn't a newbie and he has a different reason for doing it than googlie eyed rate chasing like the newbs do. Stek knows where the rep button is as well btw.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Found myself in a very similar position and did walk with some dodgy excuse. Other job was just too sweet to knock back. Never even considered it before but after being messed about by a large bank (you should be fine for an extension, last day, er sorry you are out at 5pm) I look after no1 (was out for 4 months after that !).
                There is no clean way to exit, brave way is sit down with hiring manager and put cards down on table (they might have had a second choice in place etc).
                GL

Comment

It doesn't make you a bad/unprofessional if you choose to leave your current role. Just make sure that you have all the paper work for the new gig that you are going to. If the clientco wanted to dump you they would do in a heartbeat and not lose a nights sleep over it.

At the end of the day you have to go for what's best for your company bottom line - and sometimes its at the expense of others. To use the old cliche 'nothing personal - just business'.

Comment

Working...
                  X