• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meeting the agent before an interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    I'm new to the contracting game, and this agent from TekSystems wants to meet me face to face before I go for an interview with his client...

He said they build relationships with contractors, so he wants to meet me. He also implied that if I went to the interview I had to accept the role since they "only put 1 candidate forward due to their special relationship with the client".

Is this normal?

This is definitely not 'the norm'. I've just been through this very thing with TEKSystems - exactly the same as you - and the whole thing turned out to be bollocks. They didn't have the leg in on the role, their relationship with the client was no more special than the next guy (let alone the Janitor at the client) and they spent more time wasting energy on doing this stuff (along with their 'harassing insistence' I give 2 references) to then deliver the sum total of - well - nothing !!!!!

Anyone that gives you this sort of speel is more focused around their own position than yours or the client I find. So I'd avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
      WHS

I've worked for TEKSystems and know two of their guys in two different regions. They have the same approach, can be a bit over the top at times, but they do keep in touch and we do some mutual back scratching.
      The only back they scratch is theirs. I'd never touch them again.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieDigger View Post
        This is definitely not 'the norm'. I've just been through this very thing with TEKSystems - exactly the same as you - and the whole thing turned out to be bollocks. They didn't have the leg in on the role, their relationship with the client was no more special than the next guy (let alone the Janitor at the client) and they spent more time wasting energy on doing this stuff (along with their 'harassing insistence' I give 2 references) to then deliver the sum total of - well - nothing !!!!!

Anyone that gives you this sort of speel is more focused around their own position than yours or the client I find. So I'd avoid them.
        When I first dealt with TekSystems, I must admit I was a bit dubious. I eventually gave in to the References request and gave them a referee details to them. The opportunity turned out to be real, and I secured the role. I didn't feel that I needed to prove myself, but as I didn't have much to hide, I didn't mind.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Are they in any way affiliated with an other agency? One agent sent me and email with the teksystems signature and then Ashton carter ..

I get call from Junior guys as like they are doing practise calls.

I got one day 4 meeting invites to the office in Bracknell. I declined them all and the junior agent called me 3 times confirming the face to face.

From around 100 calls over the years not one interview

Comment

Originally posted by maganda View Post
            Are they in any way affiliated with an other agency? One agent sent me and email with the teksystems signature and then Ashton carter ..

I get call from Junior guys as like they are doing practise calls.

I got one day 4 meeting invites to the office in Bracknell. I declined them all and the junior agent called me 3 times confirming the face to face.

From around 100 calls over the years not one interview
            Working through teksystems at the moment. Yes I had to meet the person managing this client before anything else but its just part of the "value added" they claim to add.

In fact between that agent meeting and the very short phone interview I had this was about as painless an interview as I've had..

Only had 1 junior practicing on me so far. He got very short shrift...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              Whenever I have done this it's been a waste of time and everything could just have been done over the phone rather than faffing about.

I popped along to one because it was around the corner, I waited in reception for a few minutes for him to come out and we had a 15 minute chat about what I was looking for. Then he fed me some rubbish about how I should leave my CV exclusively with him for two weeks because otherwise if the CV is sent out by lots of agents it looks 'desperate'. I found that devious and insulting. If I had been naive enough to believe that it would obviously have benefited the agent but not me.

I can't see myself going face to face again. At least when you hear the tricks on the phone less of your time is wasted.
              Exclusively? sod that. I would do if they could guarantee in wiritng they could get me a gig - or pay a penalty of £1000.

Otherwise, no way jose. Must work I guess with some people for them to try it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X