• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meeting the agent before an interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
    I don't work through Tek Systems at the moment but I go for a pint with a couple of their agents every month for a catch up. It seems standard practice for them to keep in touch with guys they know they can place. They are always sending me oportunities and I have put them in touch with several contractors that are in the market. Its how they manage their network. These are the kind of guys (as mentioned earlier) that I know i can phone and get them looking for roles for me.
    They are part of the Allegis group, incidentaly, so a large outfit.
    WHS

I've worked for TEKSystems and know two of their guys in two different regions. They have the same approach, can be a bit over the top at times, but they do keep in touch and we do some mutual back scratching.

Comment

Quite often (nearly always) here in Germany they'll want to meet up before the interview and I've had quite a number of times where they've also sat in on the interview (this was interesting once as they started discussing rates so I know how much the agency were charging the client.)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I visited Tek systems office in Wokingham when they were known as Allegis 3-4 years back. It did not help me much, but if you live nearby no harm to meet them. They will give a form to fill & take identity proof copy I think.

I visited another agent (not able to recollect their name) in Central London in my early contracting years, absolute ******s, only information they were keen was References from previous employers..!!. So It’s not worth travel long distance to visit agents.
        Last edited by Darren_Test; 21 September 2011, 11:51.

Comment

Some excellent advice and looks like these guys are genuine and maybe useful contacts to get in with. BUT, in general I would not touch any meetings with an agent unless I was very convinced they could be useful and it was almost zero effort for me to go e.g. lunchtime, round the corner etc.
          These are usually a total waste of time....

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            Some excellent advice and looks like these guys are genuine and maybe useful contacts to get in with. BUT, in general I would not touch any meetings with an agent unless I was very convinced they could be useful and it was almost zero effort for me to go e.g. lunchtime, round the corner etc.
            These are usually a total waste of time....
            WHS. Do *not* spend money on this unless they already have you lined up for an interview, and even then only if it's cheap.

Ask them if they will cover your travel costs if you dont get the gig?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Right now the whole thing seems like a wind up. Spoke to the agent earlier and suddenly he thinks I might be bored by the role whereas yesterday he was trying to sell it as perfect for me and he was in a rush to meet me ASAP. I think when I started making it clear I wasn't keen on coming in to London to meet him he realised I wouldn't be an easy source of leads. Can't see why he would do such a turnaround.

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                a teksystems agent lead me down the garden path on my first hunt for a contract a couple of years ago, fell for the 2 references trick

i'd tread with care personally
                Hi,
                I gave a reference to TEK systems for one of my ex-engineers the other week. It was a real in depth discussion. I was quite surprised to be honest. Normally agencies ring up and say do you know X? Was he/she/it a Muppet? Thats good enough thanks for your time...

I was also surprised to find out that the chap I was speaking to hadn't even put the guy forward to the customer yet...

I have a personal friend that works for TEK. I gave her a call off the company time to ask what was going on. She stood by the two references play, saying that they get a kicking for sending C.V's of un checked bods to customers, so TEK wont go near you unless they know you as a quantity. So when they ask you for references for once they are not taking liberties. Just don't give them your _CURRENT_ employer because they will go and call them...

My friend also gave me a hard time for telling one of her colleagues to sod off when he cold called me and asked for a couple of references on a role she arranged for me when I was on the bench. I didn't know she had set it up and so I didn't give the referees. He didn't put me forward. Simple as Cost me an extra month on the bench as a result.

Comment

Whenever I have done this it's been a waste of time and everything could just have been done over the phone rather than faffing about.

I popped along to one because it was around the corner, I waited in reception for a few minutes for him to come out and we had a 15 minute chat about what I was looking for. Then he fed me some rubbish about how I should leave my CV exclusively with him for two weeks because otherwise if the CV is sent out by lots of agents it looks 'desperate'. I found that devious and insulting. If I had been naive enough to believe that it would obviously have benefited the agent but not me.

I can't see myself going face to face again. At least when you hear the tricks on the phone less of your time is wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                    Meeting the agent before an interview?
                    Only if they are buying the beers.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                      Very methodical of you keeping a record of those!
                      Lets face it, it's as rare as hen's teeth, Lady Diana's death, 911 etc.. Where were you when your agent bought you coffee, Costa near St Pauls he said in a flash.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X