• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meeting the agent before an interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Interesting, I had a similar call today with the same company. pulled the 2 references trick as we only put one candidate forward.

Are we going for the same role in NW London?
    Hope not! He told me a company near Temple, 3 month role.

Comment

OK, just testing the theory around only sending one candidate forward for a role. Maybe they're not lying.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        OK, just testing the theory around only sending one candidate forward for a role. Maybe they're not lying.
        You got me a bit nervous there, would have been pretty pee'd off if I found out he'd been shopping out the same fake role all day and I bought it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          Very methodical of you keeping a record of those!

The other thing which is a bit annoying is I have to come all the way into London to meet this guy on my day off. If I don't get the role I will be making a furious thread in here, mark my words!
          I worked through Teksystems before for a client in London. I met the agent on the morning of the interview. I thought it was strange, but went along with it. In this instance, don't worry about it. :-)
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I met one a few months ago at the client site on my way to the interview, which worked out OK (apart from the fact that it was a crap job!). Mostly I avoid speculative meetings as it's usually a reference fishing trip.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

He told me a company near Temple, 3 month role.
              Using Oracle BPM by any chance ?

Comment

a teksystems agent lead me down the garden path on my first hunt for a contract a couple of years ago, fell for the 2 references trick

i'd tread with care personally

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  I worked through Teksystems before for a client in London. I met the agent on the morning of the interview. I thought it was strange, but went along with it. In this instance, don't worry about it. :-)
                  Cool, cheers mate, now here's hoping the client actually wants to interview me!

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                  Using Oracle BPM by any chance ?
                  Nope, I'm a SQL man.

Comment

I met agents before the interview in the past and these I hold in slightly higher regard than the other others.

As others have said it could be about gauging you people skills before sending you to the interview.

Comment

I don't work through Tek Systems at the moment but I go for a pint with a couple of their agents every month for a catch up. It seems standard practice for them to keep in touch with guys they know they can place. They are always sending me oportunities and I have put them in touch with several contractors that are in the market. Its how they manage their network. These are the kind of guys (as mentioned earlier) that I know i can phone and get them looking for roles for me.
                      They are part of the Allegis group, incidentaly, so a large outfit.
                      If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Working...
                      X