• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying at hotel 4 nights a week - car insurance implications?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying at hotel 4 nights a week - car insurance implications?

All,

I'm starting a new job and am going to stay away from home for 4 nights in a hotel (v.likely the same hotel), at least for the next 3 months - as my car is kept in the hotel car park for more than 50% of the time my insurer is saying I have to change my risk address to the hotel address (from my home address). This bumps up my yearly premium by another £250. Is this right? Does anyone know the legality of the situation - I suppose most people would try and blag it if anything happened.

Dezze.

Originally posted by dezze View Post
    All,

I'm starting a new job and am going to stay away from home for 4 nights in a hotel (v.likely the same hotel), at least for the next 3 months - as my car is kept in the hotel car park for more than 50% of the time my insurer is saying I have to change my risk address to the hotel address (from my home address). This bumps up my yearly premium by another £250. Is this right? Does anyone know the legality of the situation - I suppose most people would try and blag it if anything happened.

Dezze.
    Actually most people have their car insurance updgraded for business use so the situation doesn't arise. Blagging is therefore unnecessary.

For £250 uplift I'd find another insurer and get the right cover.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

All,

If you explained it to the insurance call centre operator like that off course they are going to get you to take out more expensive cover. The majority of people don't understand how we work even if they work in the insurance industry.

Do as malvolio said and extend your cover to have business use as you are actually on a temporary assignment where you have to stay in a hotel over night. The length of the assignment could be your notice period, 3 months or more.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Actually most people have their car insurance updgraded for business use so the situation doesn't arise. Blagging is therefore unnecessary.

For £250 uplift I'd find another insurer and get the right cover.
        I already have business use on the policy?? Sounds like I the person I spoke to (who spoke to a supervisor) may have inadvertently misled me. I'll go back to them.

Comment

I already have business use on the policy?? Sounds like I the person I spoke to (who spoke to a supervisor) may have inadvertently misled me. I'll go back to them.
          Not necessarily. I too have class one business cover, but the insurance co still wants to know where the car is normally kept overnight. I made sure my car was away from home for <50% of the year when I was working in Surrey. (BTW, 44 weeks work @ 4 nights away is just slightly more than 50%).
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

All,

Dezze.

Insurance company bollocks imo. If your contract is only for 3 months, your car is going to be at home (or there abouts) for the other 9 months of the year.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Insurance company bollocks imo. If your contract is only for 3 months, your car is going to be at home (or there abouts) for the other 9 months of the year.
              The only thing the insurance company may want you to do is put another postcode on the policy.

However while dezze says he is going to stay at the same hotel unless he's booked ahead he won't necessarily be, so giving them another definite postcode is going to be difficult.........
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X