• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oldbie trying to catch up with the world!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oldbie trying to catch up with the world!

Hi ya'll,

I've been contracting for ages and ages now, but only just catching up with this "limited company" malarky... any suggestions who I should go for?

Not done a great deal of research into any yet (as there are sooo many around out there!!!) so it's mighty overwhelming, and a tricky decision...

any thoughts?!!

cheers in advance

amxamxamx

Originally posted by amx
    Hi ya'll,

I've been contracting for ages and ages now, but only just catching up with this "limited company" malarky... any suggestions who I should go for?

Not done a great deal of research into any yet (as there are sooo many around out there!!!) so it's mighty overwhelming, and a tricky decision...

any thoughts?!!

cheers in advance

amxamxamx

Malvolio, I think this one is for you.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

*grabs tin hat, dives into fox hole*
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

When you pick a company name, make sure the domain name is available.

Comment

humz no suggestions.. so had to do some of my own ground work!

think i'm going to use these Charterhouse people...

http://www.charterhouseplc.com/limited-companies

they seem pretty alright having spoke to them a few times.... and mainly coz it's one of the few i cant find any BAD comments on!!

any one else use these guys?

Comment

why not grab an accountant and let them do it for you.

The resdient acountants Darren of 1st accounting and Simon of SJD (although not seen him for a while) will do it for you and maybe FOC.

When I went Ltd I got my accountatn to do it £50 IIRC

MG
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

just checked out their website and found

Fees
              We charge 5% of each invoice you raise.
              No way

A decent accountant will charge £60 to £80 quid a month which , unless your rate is very low, will be a lot cheaper than the 5%
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by amx
                humz no suggestions.. so had to do some of my own ground work!

think i'm going to use these Charterhouse people...

http://www.charterhouseplc.com/limited-companies

they seem pretty alright having spoke to them a few times.... and mainly coz it's one of the few i cant find any BAD comments on!!

any one else use these guys?
                How much research have you done? There is a link just to the right there for SJD which you will note offers to set up your company for free and then they will charge you 80 quid a month. If you look at the members of this site you will find a chap whose handle is Darren@1stAccountancy (clue there) who will set up your company, for a small fee, and then do the accountancy thing for 50 quid a month.
                All figures approximate!!
                A simple search of previous threads would give you quite a lot of advice.

You might want to consider not contracting if this kind of thing is too difficult.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

havent thought about the going it on your own route with an accountant...

isnt it simplier and easier to go through one of these suppliers, such as charterhouse?

humzz too bl00dy complicated!

Comment

It might seem scary but it really is easy. I got the hang of things after a couple of months and when I'm not sure or just need help then I ring my accountant, because thats what I pay him for.

Each Month all I do is:
                    Produce an Invoice for client (5 mins)
                    When Invoice paid
                    I enter details onto a spread sheet (Gross, VAT and Net)
                    I pay myself (salary and expenses- spreadseet for calcs procided by accountant (record on spreadsheet)
                    I send chq for pension (record on spreadsheet)
                    U send cheque for PAYE to HMRC (record on spreadsheet)

When I spend money (record on spreadsheet)

When I get a bank statemnt
                    I confirm my entries on my spreadsheet

When VAT is owed - HMRC tell me
                    I add up the VAT charged and take away VAT spent
                    Send chw to HMRC

If I spend > 1 hour a month then I;ve lost the plot

My view is that it's my money, so I want control.

Comment

Working...
                    X