• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got my first contract / Elan IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my first contract / Elan IT

I've managed to land my first contract so exit from permieland on it's way. Clientco is prepared to wait the month's notice period although I'm hoping to negiotiate a quicker exit by trading accrued leave etc.

The agency who got the gig is Elan, and I'm in the process of reviewing their standard contract. Has anyone had any experience with them regarding any changes that may be required, any "tricks" to watch out for etc?

I'm also in the process of setting up a meeting with SJD to see what their service entails and to assit in company / VAT registration etc. Seems by the comments on various threads they are good at their job, but if anyone has recomendations for an alterative I'd be happy to hear them.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
    I've managed to land my first contract so exit from permieland on it's way. Clientco is prepared to wait the month's notice period although I'm hoping to negiotiate a quicker exit by trading accrued leave etc.

The agency who got the gig is Elan, and I'm in the process of reviewing their standard contract. Has anyone had any experience with them regarding any changes that may be required, any "tricks" to watch out for etc?

I'm also in the process of setting up a meeting with SJD to see what their service entails and to assit in company / VAT registration etc. Seems by the comments on various threads they are good at their job, but if anyone has recomendations for an alterative I'd be happy to hear them.
    Ermmm... How have you got a contract without a company to have a contract with?

ANyway, Hays contracts are OK, mostly, but you won't get anywhere trying to negotiate with them . Get Bauer and Cotteril to do it.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Are Hays / Elan one and the same?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Ermmm... How have you got a contract without a company to have a contract with?

ANyway, Hays contracts are OK, mostly, but you won't get anywhere trying to negotiate with them . Get Bauer and Cotteril to do it.
        Ooops You mean Elans contracts are ok and just put Hay's by mistake or Hays are ok and you don't know about Elan??
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Ooops You mean Elans contracts are ok and just put Hay's by mistake or Hays are ok and you don't know about Elan??
          D'Oh....

I meant Elan. Was just reading about the Hays up cock at RBS, and confused the two. And I am very old....

Although the same comment applies IMHO; Elan are OK but are unlilkely to negotiate if there is anything wrong. Use the experts.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

[QUOTE=malvolio;1386404]Ermmm... How have you got a contract without a company to have a contract with?
            QUOTE]

I think you'll find he's received and accepted (subject to contract) an offer of a contract role and now he needs to get his Ltd Co set up before he can sign the contract. Nothing unusual in that.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Elan are OK but are unlilkely to negotiate if there is anything wrong. Use the experts.
              WHS, I've worked through Elan in the past. You've practically zero chance of getting anything in the contract changed. However from the contracts of theirs I've had reviewed they are considered IR35 friendly (usually working practices disclaimer applies).

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
                I think you'll find he's received and accepted (subject to contract) an offer of a contract role and now he needs to get his Ltd Co set up before he can sign the contract. Nothing unusual in that.
                Indeed, thats what happened when I first started contracting. Got contract offer then setup Ltdco and had a standard contract template sent through so I could review it and get it reviewed whilst the Ltdco & bank account was being done.

Comment

But as a reminded to the OP. The contract means nothing in an investigation, it is the working practices that rule. You are not a permie anymore so approach your work with IR35 in mind else you could get in to old habits and fall inside... e.g. You do not take expenses from the client as you did with your old employer. You pay for them and invoice them back. Using their expenses will put you inside IR35 (or a flag anyway) regardless of how tight you contract may be.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for those who identified my position correctly. I have an offer and I have the standard terms, but before I can sign it I need to setup a Ltd, appoint an accountant, sort out insurance, open a bank account etc...

I've actually worked for this Clientco as a permie in the past, and they are prepared to wait for me to work my notice period, so it's all good. They are local and although the rate isn't as high as I'd like / am worth, it does get me back into contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X