• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Discussion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Discussion

Posting it here again as other thread has been hacked by otherwise helpful people.

Hi there,

Time to update my CV and I am thinking whether my CV reflects my experience or shall I change the format, shall I cut down the amount of information I have about the various projects I have worked on?

My CV contains the information about projects (detailed, my key responsibilities, start date to finish date and technologies involved).

With 12 years of experience it has now run into 6 full pages and seem like too big. Had a bit of gap between projects so not sure if I should remove the dates of the projects so as to avoid questions like why could I not find work for such and such long time.

Please provide your inputs on my queries and feel free to add more about what you think a CV should look like. I know there are tons of websites out there but they all seem rubbish and generic. Hope it is worth the discussion.

Thanks,

IT contractors: How to write a good CV :: Contractor UK
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Since I’ve recently reviewed another poster’s CV for them, I’ll post the general points here.

Your CV needs to answer the question “Why should I use this contractor for this role?”

Most CVs are too wordy, bullet points are your friends.

CV Structure
      • Your name
      • Your contact details - phone/email/website
      • Profile - (One paragraph setting out how good you are and industries in which you’ve worked)
      • Achievements (no more than 6 Bullets)
      • Expertise (no more than 6 Bullets)

For your contract details, you need to break each contract down into 'what I did' (Role Profile) and 'What I achieved' (Key Achievements)

Contract 1 with date
      Job Title
      Role Profile (bullets)
      Key Achievements (bullets)

Contract 2 with date
      Job Title
      Role Profile (bullets)

After 5-7 years, scrap the role profile/key achievements, just have job title and dates.

Last page
      Training and certifications – you can mention your degree here if you want.
      ---------

General notes:
      • You’ve mentioned your 1st degree on the front page? Who cares! The agent/client is only interested in your current skills and how you can deliver for them.
      • Dont worry about gap but be prepared to answer questions about them if the agent/client asks.

This isn't the only way to set out a CV, the important thing is KISS

Basically your CV has to scream YOU NEED ME! to the agent. They're busy and won't wade through CV's they can't scan in 30 seconds.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Since I’ve recently reviewed another poster’s CV for them, I’ll post the general points here.

Your CV needs to answer the question “Why should I use this contractor for this role?”

CV Structure
        • Your name
        • Profile - (One paragraph setting out how good you are and industries in which you’ve worked)

For your contract details, you need to break each contract down into 'what I did' (Role Profile) and 'What I achieved' (Key Achievements)

Contract 1 with date
        Job Title
        Role Profile (bullets)

Contract 2 with date
        Job Title
        Role Profile (bullets)

After 5-7 years, scrap the role profile/key achievements, just have job title and dates.

Last page
        ---------

General notes:
        • You’ve mentioned your 1st degree on the front page? Who cares! The agent/client is only interested in your current skills and how you can deliver for them.
        • Dont worry about gap but be prepared to answer questions about them if the agent/client asks.

Basically your CV has to scream YOU NEED ME! to the agent. They're busy and won't wade through CV's they can't scan in 30 seconds.
        Many thanks..I was looking for ideas like these...Also thanks to posters in the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerinhunt View Post
          Many thanks..I was looking for ideas like these...
          Cojak's bill is in the post.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Comment

That's great advice, exactly how my CV is written too.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                All that remains is for Cojak to send you the cheque.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

CV Structure
                  • Your name

Contract 1 with date
                  Job Title
                  Role Profile (bullets)

Contract 2 with date
                  Job Title
                  Role Profile (bullets)

Last page
                  ---------

General notes:

This is EXACTLY how I tell people to write their CV's.

You are trying to sell to us. Think of it like any other sales process - Features and Benefits.

Answer these points in your bullet points:

What was the high level reason you were engaged?

What did you do? (achievements)

What benefit did that bring to the company? (This needs to be tangible - Service improvement, revenue increase, cost cutting, etc).

If you can't answer these questions, then it's possible that you're not actually a project manager at all.....
                  "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                  SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

What's the point of writing a good cv if 99.9% of so called recruitment consultants cannot understand it?
                    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                    X