• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Splitting time - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting time - advice needed

I've been discussing a contract that would see me split time between London and Madrid...

Not having done this type of contract before, what's the best way to manage this? E.g one week in Madrid, then one in London? Two weeks in each place? Or just base myself somewhere and fly out when needed?

I already have a flat in London.

Can I reasonably expect to expense the client for all flights, accommodation, etc? Since it's through an agent do I need to involve the, in the negotiations?

Any advice from members who've done this before would be appreciated.
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

You need to spilt this situation into 2.

1 - Expenses.
    2 - Where to base yourself.

When I work across counties I always expect expenses, it would be ruinously expensive not to (unless the rate is commensurate ).

As for where to base yourself, it would depend where you're expected to appear the most. I would try the one week rota for 1 month to see how it works out. You might be too tired to do that regularly or politics may favour one site over another.

See how it goes first.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You'll need to think of tax, I would stay almost exclusively in London, and fly out for ocasional visits. It's not just a matter of satisfying personal tax residency, i.e. being there for 6 months, you are potentially liable for tax on day 1. Yes you don't need a work visa because it's the EU, but think in your mind how it would be in a country where you do. I was taxed in the UK for three days work, (because we arranged the contract to do that. and three days was all I spent in that tax year) so be careful, you can be taxed for one day's work; that's not to say you should be I'm just pointing out the legalities here. Find out what the rules are in Spain and check with an accountant.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
      X