• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to IT contracting - conflicting advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really want to get into contracting now because I want to return to college in the next couple of years so need to save money for this.

Comment

Yes, 3 years is easily enough to say you've got Java well and truly under your belt. Beyond that you'll be going over very little new ground.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        I really want to get into contracting now because I want to return to college in the next couple of years so need to save money for this.
        I suggest you spend some time reading the threads on here on common tricks and mis-truths that agents used after reading the first timers guide.

Agents will lie to you and don't give a tulip if you lie back to them as you need to get them to put your CV in front of the client.

However once you are in front of the client don't lie particularly if they ask you a direct question. I've been at more than one client site where interviewees have been caught out due to the world while being a big place kinda sticks to the 6 degrees of separation rule more than you think.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I got my first contract after 3 years exp (.Net).

Round your CV up to 4 years and do a bit of fishing.

Comment

Hi again.

I have been getting agents to put my CV forward but I never hear anything back. I think my notice period is a sticking point. The conversation always goes well until I mention I'm not available for a month.

I think the time is right for me to quit my perm role and get looking for contracts.

Can anyone tell me if you always have to do a tech test as part of the interview? I'm very bad at those tests even though i'm ok tech-wise.

Comment

Hi again.

I have been getting agents to put my CV forward but I never hear anything back. I think my notice period is a sticking point. The conversation always goes well until I mention I'm not available for a month.
              This might be the most common problem people face when they move from perm to contr. It really depends upon your circumstances. If you are very important to your company then they migh not let you go before 1 month. If you are commie then you can negociate with your company at the time of resignation. But its risky they might not agree with less then 1 month.

Can anyone tell me if you always have to do a tech test as part of the interview? I'm very bad at those tests even though i'm ok tech-wise.

Taking test should not be an issue for any interviewee. If you are good at teach then should definately not be a problem. You will need to look on your favourate search engine for Interview questions and you will find plenty of post (I am sure you have tried this ) More tech interviews you will do, the better you will become
              Last edited by acontractor; 28 September 2011, 12:21.

Comment

Working...
              X