• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to IT contracting - conflicting advice"

Collapse

• acontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Hi again.

I have been getting agents to put my CV forward but I never hear anything back. I think my notice period is a sticking point. The conversation always goes well until I mention I'm not available for a month.
    This might be the most common problem people face when they move from perm to contr. It really depends upon your circumstances. If you are very important to your company then they migh not let you go before 1 month. If you are commie then you can negociate with your company at the time of resignation. But its risky they might not agree with less then 1 month.

Can anyone tell me if you always have to do a tech test as part of the interview? I'm very bad at those tests even though i'm ok tech-wise.

Taking test should not be an issue for any interviewee. If you are good at teach then should definately not be a problem. You will need to look on your favourate search engine for Interview questions and you will find plenty of post (I am sure you have tried this ) More tech interviews you will do, the better you will become
    Last edited by acontractor; 28 September 2011, 12:21.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Hi again.

I have been getting agents to put my CV forward but I never hear anything back. I think my notice period is a sticking point. The conversation always goes well until I mention I'm not available for a month.

I think the time is right for me to quit my perm role and get looking for contracts.

Can anyone tell me if you always have to do a tech test as part of the interview? I'm very bad at those tests even though i'm ok tech-wise.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    I got my first contract after 3 years exp (.Net).

Round your CV up to 4 years and do a bit of fishing.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I really want to get into contracting now because I want to return to college in the next couple of years so need to save money for this.
    I suggest you spend some time reading the threads on here on common tricks and mis-truths that agents used after reading the first timers guide.

Agents will lie to you and don't give a tulip if you lie back to them as you need to get them to put your CV in front of the client.

However once you are in front of the client don't lie particularly if they ask you a direct question. I've been at more than one client site where interviewees have been caught out due to the world while being a big place kinda sticks to the 6 degrees of separation rule more than you think.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Yes, 3 years is easily enough to say you've got Java well and truly under your belt. Beyond that you'll be going over very little new ground.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    I really want to get into contracting now because I want to return to college in the next couple of years so need to save money for this.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Do you know of any contractors geting roles with a small amount of experience?
    Some people have never been permanent employees whilst others have had 20+ years of experience before they become a contractor.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Oh and unless you have personal contacts which will get you a role, then you will have to neglect to tell agents certain things otherwise they aren't interested.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    You mean lie just to test the water so I'll know if my 3yrs 8mths is enough?
    You also need to clearly demonstrate what you have done during these 3 yrs 8 months that will enable you to add value to whatever role you are going for.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    If you think your experience is small then wait for a couple of years, get more experience under your belt, network a lot and then jump into contracting. What is the hurry ? You are not in some competition to make your first million are you ?

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    To a certain extent clients get what they pay for.

If they want someone with mega years experience they pay, if not then they pay less.

Not saying you couldn't get a contract but rates can go up as well as down depending on the experience of the contractor.

There is probably a market for all skill levels, but it also depends on the industry.
    Do you know of any contractors geting roles with a small amount of experience?

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Easy - start applying for roles, tell them your team is getting outsourced so they have agreed to let you leave at 1 weeks notice (this is very important or agent will not bother), market tells you if you have skills in demand - Well, for 3 months anyway, then it's pot luck....
    You mean lie just to test the water so I'll know if my 3yrs 8mths is enough?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Easy - start applying for roles, tell them your team is getting outsourced so they have agreed to let you leave at 1 weeks notice (this is very important or agent will not bother), market tells you if you have skills in demand - Well, for 3 months anyway, then it's pot luck....

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    To a certain extent clients get what they pay for.

If they want someone with mega years experience they pay, if not then they pay less.

Not saying you couldn't get a contract but rates can go up as well as down depending on the experience of the contractor.

There is probably a market for all skill levels, but it also depends on the industry.

Leave a comment:

• Bluespider
    replied
    Take a look at the first timers section over here >>>>>>>>>>

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Hi all,

I am a permanent J2EE developer and want to get into contracting. I have 3.5 years Java experience (5 years total development experience). I have an MSc in Computing and am Java certified.

I've been getting conflicting advice on whether I have enough experience in Java yet. Do any of you know if employers would give me a contract with said experience?

In my current post, I have 1 month's notice period. Is there a chance I could get a Java contract with this notice period or should I quit my permanent role first?

Any help is welcome,.

Thanks
    Sorry, that should say 3 years 8 months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X