• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or Should I go??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or Should I go??

Hi all,

Im in my first contract so Im on a low rate (below average) and I have just been told by my client they may extend my contract but will see closer to my time when contract ends. 4-6weeks before contract ends.

I wanted to know how to go about asking for more money?? If they do ask me to stay on.

Also if they do give me a rise should I still take it or leave?? - Im in two minds because my client is in a good location for me to get to everyday and they have alot of work on the plan which means I'll be here longer (hopefully)... but its not worth me being here if I have a low rate.. where as I could move on and get a better pay.

Whats peoples thought on this ???

You could move on .....

But if it's a good location and plenty of work, stay.

Does the rate really matter? Many companies are cutting salaries and axing people, so why risk it?

Comment

Don't know where you live or what your family circumstance is but for me it's all about location. I'm based in Yorkshire so it's uaually a case of take the money and move away during the week (which means not seeing my wife and child) or take a lower paid job closer to home.
      I'd almost always go with the latter as long as the bills get paid.
      Work to live not live to work is the way I look at it.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
        Don't know where you live or what your family circumstance is but for me it's all about location. I'm based in Yorkshire so it's uaually a case of take the money and move away during the week (which means not seeing my wife and child) or take a lower paid job closer to home.
        I'd almost always go with the latter as long as the bills get paid.
        Work to live not live to work is the way I look at it.
        I disagree. Starting off I was not picky with location at all and just looked for anything. Definitely go for a higher rate to build up your warchest as your just starting out. After a year or so and with a good enough warchest you can then start to be picky and enjoy your family life by looking for places close to home and with a more decent rate.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          I disagree. Starting off I was not picky with location at all and just looked for anything. Definitely go for a higher rate to build up your warchest as your just starting out. After a year or so and with a good enough warchest you can then start to be picky and enjoy your family life by looking for places close to home and with a more decent rate.
          But you are about 19 with a beer habit to pay for and that's it? It is purely dependant on your personal circumstances so would have been worth explaining yours so we know what you give that advice. VirtualMonkey explains he has a wife and child.

These ridiculous 'What should I do' questions are impossible to answer as it is all down to the OP's situation which their rarely explain properly so all we can do is give OUR situations which are often completely different.

I am guessing the OP has English as a second language which could add a whole different level of complexity to this.

To the OP. Do what makes YOU happiest. Do you want to be around family? There is your answer. You want hard cash. There is your answer.

We cannot answer it for you.... oh except this..

Also if they do give me a rise should I still take it or leave??
          If they give you a rise turn it down and do it for the good of the economy. LOL
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by New2011 View Post
            I wanted to know how to go about asking for more money??
            You don't ask for more money.... you inform them that your rate has gone up to $new_rate.

They may pay the extra, they may haggle, they may say no. You have to know what your market rate is. How much would the client pay to replace you? Would it be worth their while to bin you and get someone else in who will probably charge more.

Ultimately, after whatever they say, the ball will be back in your court to say yes, haggle for more, or say no (which could mean walking away).
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
            X