• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well known agency causing probs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You were paid 166 a day for a PM?

EDIT : Dam beaten to it.. anyway.. to add...

They tell big fat lies - You should know this.
    They automatically send out 'OPT OUT' contracts - You should expect this.
    They are always on client's side - You should know this.
    They do not pay on time (if at all) - You should expect this.
    They send out umpteen duff contracts out until they finally get it right - You should expect this.
    They will try to get contractors to use a brolly on their PSL, but when really pushed will back down and allow any brolly. - You should expect this
    They have been in deep poo with this client as their margin's are way too high - That is not your problem.

All the lessons above from what I can see are pretty standard stuff and you should expect/know/prepare for all of them everytime surely?

Again not trying to be harsh but you could add the following to this list

Check you contract a bit more carefully
    Understand the level and scope of your role fully
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 July 2011, 09:32.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No digging done!

I was under no illusion that this was going to be a very junior role. My only reason for accepting the role was that I needed some extra money. I already had another gig lined up, so I only took this as it was on my doorstep, and I was told by agency it would only be for 4 weeks.
      The agency didn't want to tell the client that I was only going to be there for 4 weeks - they tried sending me a duff contract with an end date well over my 4 week availability, and this duff contract also contained a notice period of a month for me, and a week for them!

The client did only want a PA, but because she wasn't allowed to hire a PA (her role [the client]was deemed as being one which does not require a PA hence it being advertised as a PM) but even as a PA, the way I was treated was appalling and I have no regrets in slamming the phone down on the client when she was being extremely unreasonably angry. Despite me efforts after the event to try an 'appologise' she simply phoned the agency and told them to find a replacement for me. I did my work well, I made no mistakes and I did everything that was asked of me. I just wasn't prepared to become the easy target for a bully of a boss.

It's the agency who are really being unprofessional now. Their latest excuse for nonpayment is that they need to get the client to approve my timesheets. I'M OPTED IN FFS

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Y

They tell big fat lies - You should know this.
        They automatically send out 'OPT OUT' contracts - You should expect this.
        They are always on client's side - You should know this.
        They do not pay on time (if at all) - You should expect this.
        They send out umpteen duff contracts out until they finally get it right - You should expect this.
        They will try to get contractors to use a brolly on their PSL, but when really pushed will back down and allow any brolly. - You should expect this
        They have been in deep poo with this client as their margin's are way too high - That is not your problem.

All the lessons above from what I can see are pretty standard stuff and you should expect/know/prepare for all of them everytime surely?

Again not trying to be harsh but you could add the following to this list

Check you contract a bit more carefully
        Understand the level and scope of your role fully
        I would never expect all of the above to apply to a well known agency, and that's my point. I would have thought that any agent who is trying it on with me would reach a certain point and start to wonder whether or not they can get away with pulling the wool over my eyes anymore. Seems not with this lot, and that's why I'm so

I agree with you that from my list one should expect some of those things from time to time. To be fair though, not every agency behaves as badly as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
          I would never expect all of the above to apply to a well known agency, and that's my point. I would have thought that any agent who is trying it on with me would reach a certain point and start to wonder whether or not they can get away with pulling the wool over my eyes anymore. Seems not with this lot, and that's why I'm so

I agree with you that from my list one should expect some of those things from time to time. To be fair though, not every agency behaves as badly as this one.
          Many agents will try and pull the wool over your eyes until you tell/show them clearly that the tulip they are pulling won't work.

It's best if you start it from the beginning if they try and play around with the opt-in/opt-out stuff.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Many agents will try and pull the wool over your eyes until you tell/show them clearly that the tulip they are pulling won't work.

It's best if you start it from the beginning if they try and play around with the opt-in/opt-out stuff.
            I followed all your previous advice and warnings from the very start of all my dealings with this agency, and despite my best efforts, they are still (note the tense) trying it on. Bunch of scum they are.

Comment

Am sorry to be blunt but you really need this thread to die. From what I can see here no one has acted professionally here and everyone is should be shouldering some blame and no one is in a position to start calling the other one names. I could quote details from this thread alone to prove it but that will look more like a personal attack so I won't.

Personally I would have been pretty embarrassed, kept the request fairly simple without try to justify myself and when I got an answer actioned it as suggested and left at that. You haven't done yourself any favours dragging this one out.

Keep on at your brolly/agent in a professional manner, put it all down to experience and move on.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X