• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well known agency causing probs.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well known agency causing probs.

I need advice please.

My agency have tried every trick in the book with me and my contract, they have now kicked me off site with no explanation other than quoting a clause in the contract that says they can, if within 14 days, & that after 14 days they need to give me 2 week notice.

They are now not paying me for the days I worked. I'm through an umbrella (and not the umbrella off the agency PSL list! & I eventually managed to get them to write an OPT IN contract)

The agency is a very well known name too!

The client is sending you off site or the agency?

What was the reason given? - and is it true?

Comment

You've highlighted one of the problems of working through an umbrella.

If you worked through a limited company you would go down the invoice route followed by a threat of court action then a debt collector would get your money.

Now you have to convince the umbrella to either chase the money for you, or give you the right to chase the money.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Both are, and it's a long story. Client thought they could treat me like a doormat, even wanted me to arrange a dentist appointment for them!!! I was supposed to be a PM, but was being treated like the bosses PA. I was dumped because I put the phone down when the boss was having a paddy at me, all over a storm in a tea cup - but I was dumped (I have no regrets there.)
        I'm pi$$ed off as I haven't been paid - last day was 29th July, should be paid weekly

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Now you have to convince the umbrella to either chase the money for you, or give you the right to chase the money.
          In all fairness my umbrella are reasonable, they have been chasing the payment. I assume the onus is on them to chase for payments, not me unless I ask for their permission?

I have another gig lined up and my umbrella know this, so perhaps that'll work in my favour. After all, if the umbrella co don;t keep me sweet, I will go elsewhere (or possibly go ltd?!)

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
            In all fairness my umbrella are reasonable, they have been chasing the payment. I assume the onus is on them to chase for payments, not me unless I ask for their permission?
            Your their employee.

I have another gig lined up and my umbrella know this, so perhaps that'll work in my favour. After all, if the umbrella co don;t keep me sweet, I will go elsewhere (or possibly go ltd?!)
            They may send a few letters which get ignored.

Large companies are known for trying not to pay their invoices.

Comment

Does the 'pay when paid' clause apply to me, as I opted in, and if so it's between me and who?

Comment

Does the 'pay when paid' clause apply to me, as I opted in, and if so it's between me and who?
                You need to provide more details in your posts.

Is this in the contract between you and umbrella, umbrella & agent or agent and client?

If between you and brolly, it's probably ok.

If between brolly and Agent, it's not standard business terms but if you agreed to it... Although if opted in, they have to pay you whether they get paid by the client or not.

if between client and agent, it's not your problem.

Comment

just noticed that my daily rate is quoted as being my hourly rate on the contract....not that it will make any difference, as the agency aren't paying up.

Comment

just noticed that my daily rate is quoted as being my hourly rate on the contract....not that it will make any difference, as the agency aren't paying up.
                    That wasn't what you were asked.

Comment

Working...
                    X