• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long contract hours... is that fair?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long contract hours... is that fair?

Hi all,

Been in the interview and was told that the expected business day would be 8am - 6pm. which is very long compared to anywhere I worked before (even the I-banks don't have that long hours as a standard hour)

I haven't got the paper contract yet, but if they didn't mention it in the contract (which makes it IR35 compatible) what ground do you think I could use to negotiate for a better hours?

Regards,
    Kevin

Originally posted by kevinlam View Post
    Hi all,

Been in the interview and was told that the expected business day would be 8am - 6pm. which is very long compared to anywhere I worked before (even the I-banks don't have that long hours as a standard hour)

Regards,
    Kevin
    Where's NorthernLadUK as this makes his favourite place in Crewe look like a pleasant working environment.

how many days a week?

Personally I think I would keep looking.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Where's NorthernLadUK as this makes his favourite place in Crewe look like a pleasant working environment.

how many days a week?

Personally I think I would keep looking.

5 days a week. I think it is illegal to make standard hours more than 40 hours a week?

Comment

5 days a week. I think it is illegal to make standard hours more than 40 hours a week?
        No it's not illegal.

You are not a employee either of the client or the agency where you have to sign out of the working time directive.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Are you sure they didn't just mean that core business hours are 8 - 6, and that you can work your 35 or 40 hours between 8 - 6 each day over the week?

Comment

Is it in the East End? I worked for a place out there that said the stndard day is 10 hours, the turnover of people both contract and perm was staggering. It had been taken ocver by septics and they just take the p!$$.

Comment

Just as a gauge, I worked 57 hours last week - For FAR less money than you lot earn - and I'm an employee.

Suck it up, be grateful that you earn double what most permanent employees do, and stop your moaning - you run your own business now, and if long hours are what your business needs, long hours is what your business should get.
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                Just as a gauge, I worked 57 hours last week - For FAR less money than you lot earn - and I'm an employee.
                My heart bleeds. Perhaps if you did better at school then you could be earning FAR more money for less hours. Seriously though, I would think there are some people on here who aren't on excess of £500/day. Not everyone is rolling in it as you seem to think.

Suck it up, be grateful that you're in employment and not on the dole.

Comment

Hi all,

I haven't got the paper contract yet, but if they didn't mention it in the contract (which makes it IR35 compatible) what ground do you think I could use to negotiate for a better hours?

Regards,
                  Kevin
                  All you need to ask yourself is "Is the rate 20% higher then the rates for contracts that work 8 hours a day?"

If it is and you can hack it then take the contract, if its not or you can't handle a long work day then don't.

Mooshld.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Are you sure they didn't just mean that core business hours are 8 - 6, and that you can work your 35 or 40 hours between 8 - 6 each day over the week?
                    That would make more sense!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X