• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting In Switzerland (I know not another one)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting In Switzerland (I know not another one)

I have however read the other threads so this is just a "have I got it right"

Odds are I won't set up a GmbH due to the minimum stake required, and as I think this will be a one off contract, this means I will be a "normal" employee of the Swz organisation, so subject to 25% tax and a levy for medical? As an EU Citizen I WOULD need a Work Permit, but they are generally easy to obtain, and if I work for less than 6 months and 1 day I would be taxed an extra 15% by HMRC when I return to the UK.

Have I got the basics right?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Sounds about right. Yes you'll be forced to pay medical insurance, but it isn't much perhaps 150 CHF for the absolute no frills per month. You have compulsory private pension contribution and social insurance.
    Expat allowance reduces your tax bill somewhat.

Take home would be about 65-70% depending on where you live. Tax rates have gone up since last year.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 July 2011, 17:34.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

No you don't want to set up as GMBH for such a short time. Just because a LtdCo is the route to go in the UK doesn't mean you should do it everywhere.

Medical insurance varies from canton to canton. I was gobsmacked a few years ago when someone told me how much it costs in Bern.

On the 6 months minus 1 day thing, have a week or two's holiday at the end of the gig. You are allowed to stay in Switzerland for up to three months as a tourist after your work permit expires (might need to seek permission from the authorities to do this, as an ex-colleague did, and they gave the OK). Do check this one though as I'm not up to date with all the rules.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

How does flying home every other weekend affect tax / work permit status?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I have however read the other threads so this is just a "have I got it right"

Odds are I won't set up a GmbH due to the minimum stake required, and as I think this will be a one off contract, this means I will be a "normal" employee of the Swz organisation, so subject to 25% tax and a levy for medical? As an EU Citizen I WOULD need a Work Permit, but they are generally easy to obtain, and if I work for less than 6 months and 1 day I would be taxed an extra 15% by HMRC when I return to the UK.

Have I got the basics right?
          There's no quota for EU citizens - if you've got a contract/job offer, you get a work permit. (You also have the right to search for work for 3 months). Tax will be at source (Taxe d'impot/Quellensteuer), and dependent on Kanton. If you earn above 120K CHF (IIRC) you have to fill in a tax return, and then your tax rate will be dependent on which community you are registered with. The medical isn't a levy as such. You have a choice of insurance companies, and you pay - it's not a deduction.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          It might affect your residency in the UK, but it won't affect your taxation in CH, nor your work permit.

For more information search on www.englishforum.ch. Do not ask about where to obtain brown sugar. Unless you want a laugh.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            For more information search on English Forum Switzerland. Do not ask about where to obtain brown sugar. Unless you want a laugh.
            And don't forget to post in the Employment section and ask "is this salary/rate good for a xxxxx....'. The people there are awaiting your post....

Comment

No affect

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              It does not affect you tax /work permit status. But keep record of the flights home. At the end of the year it is possible to deduct extra flights from tax.
              Also keep copies of rental-agreement. Before end of March , you can claim extra costs from previous tax-year.

rgds,
              Justme

Comment

Working...
              X