• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help me !!! Got job offer need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me !!! Got job offer need advice

Please can anyone give me some advice, ive been offered a job to work for Virgin Media as a field Techican,,, i abit confused as they dont tell me the basic salary that i would get only what i could possibly earn 25K+ a year which sounds great but a would rather know what the basic salry would be,, as im on 19.5K year at the moment working a standard 39 hours a week .... does anyone work for them or can offer me any information to what they are like to work for as i have heard some horror stories regarding working in this industry,,,,,,, im currently a data cabling engineer and looking to spread my wings to other industries CHEERS ALL

Ummmm this is a contracting forum. 19.5k a year or even 25k a year is tulip money assuming it's a contract, which I dont believe it is..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Dam I can't stand posts that start with 'HELP ME' and that.. Makes you think it is going to be a load of tosh when you open the post...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We've had a post like this on the forum before.

You probably can do a search for it with either off the company names in the search box.

In short the advise was:
        1. Don't leave your current job
        2. Don't touch it with a barge pole
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Read this http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...gin-media.html and run because the number of installations Virgin are doing is dropping dramatically.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mart0779 View Post
            Please can anyone give me some advice, ive been offered a job to work for Virgin Media as a field Techican,,, i abit confused as they dont tell me the basic salary that i would get only what i could possibly earn 25K+ a year which sounds great but a would rather know what the basic salry would be,, as im on 19.5K year at the moment working a standard 39 hours a week .... does anyone work for them or can offer me any information to what they are like to work for as i have heard some horror stories regarding working in this industry,,,,,,, im currently a data cabling engineer and looking to spread my wings to other industries CHEERS ALL
            Even us agents are not interested in running pauper contracts like this. you are on your own here mate
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Contract or permie - if they are not willing to tell you the basic salary then steer clear unless you want to be stiffed over. Knowing your basic salary / rate is as basic a question as it gets for any role.

Comment

I have some friends who work or have worked for virgin and it was suggested that I could probably get in when I was benched (it's totally different line of work to what I normally do but I have some background and apparently couldn't be less useless than some of the people they have) but I preferred to stay benched. The suggestion was I could expect £12-15/hr.

Everything I have heard about the place says "run for the hills"
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

i could possibly earn 25K+ a year
                  Its on target earnings, the salary will be low, with the expectation that depending on how many installations/repairs you do in a day and any extras you can flog the customer you could earn the 25k+.

so if your quick you could earn if your slow you won't

Comment

Working...
                  X