• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contracting in Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contracting in Afghanistan

I'm a Microsoft SharePoint Architect and looking for a contract role in Afghanistan. Why? I'm looking for a new challenge and am sick of working in glass covered, air conditioned, carpeted offices in the UK.

Any contacts/suggestions welcomed.

Cheers

Originally posted by algreen01 View Post
    I'm a Microsoft SharePoint Architect and looking for a contract role in Afghanistan. Why? I'm looking for a new challenge and am sick of working in glass covered, air conditioned, carpeted offices in the UK.

Cheers
    Mate. It aint all fun out there so I've heard. Worked for a Defense company recently and my colleagues used to go there for a few months at a time (i.e Kandahar, Bastion).

Good money. Even as a permie the co paid several £100s a day as a bonus.

However, pre-requisite before getting on plane to go there is body armour and helmet. Because of very frequent rocket and mortar attacks. And its hot, dusty and generally tulipty. Thanks but no thanks - I left it to the younger lads.

Good luck if you do go, I'd imagine contract rates there are pretty good.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

The rates aren't as good as they used to be, I was talking to a permie here at ClientCo who was harping on about how he has been offered a contract in Afgan at X a day, I hadn't the heart to tell him that I am no that here, albeit not tax free
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Cheers
        There are plenty of other places to work that are just as challenging and interesting. I wasn't aware we were doing much work re-building their infrastructure like we did in other invaded countries so wonder if there much work available there.

Why not have a look at working in North Africa or Middle East. The oil companies are still taking on contractors and a stint in Nigeria would certainly test your adventurous spirit. Even working in Egypt/Saudi comes with it's challenges but a very far cry from your cubicles and offices.

I used to fancy a stint in MEA but after being out there I notice it happens to be closer to India than UK if you get my meaning so given up now.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You'd have to be nuts IMO. Have you seen what the Taliban did to westerners in the Kabul Intercontinental Hotel recently?
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

"Nervous Newbie"

Just about describes your ring when they kick the door down and start chanting at you.

Comment

I would be seriously surprised if Afganistan needs Sharepoint projects. Plenty of infrastructure work maybe but I doubt IT spending is on the up.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Join the army. Travel the world, meet loads of people and then kill them.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  The rates aren't as good as they used to be, I was talking to a permie here at ClientCo who was harping on about how he has been offered a contract in Afgan at X a day, I hadn't the heart to tell him that I am no that here, albeit not tax free
                  As a permie at my last place, the daily bonus (on top of your normal salary) was pretty good. 3 months of this for 7 days a week on top of your normal salary was pretty good. One young lad I worked with did a few trips and had enough to buy himself a house with it.

Used to feel sorry for the poor soldiers out there who are getting a soldiers wage (not sure what this is mind), when civ contractors were getting probably 10x more.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    I would be seriously surprised if Afganistan needs Sharepoint projects. Plenty of infrastructure work maybe but I doubt IT spending is on the up.
                    And despite cutbacks, theres still lots of money spent by MOD. Like you said, its mainly comms, and infrastructure work.

Comment

Working...
                    X