• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Can you work a bit longer please."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Can you work a bit longer please."

Just had one of the Middle Office managers that I work with, nice bloke, ask me if I can put some more hours in as we have a high workload at the moment.

He isn't the person who approves my timesheets.

My contracts says my rate is "per professional day" and elsewhere implies this is counted as an 8 hour day, and that there is no overtime payable.

I'm on average doing about 9 hours a day already.

What would you do?

Asking my approving manager to sign off a few additional days has been muted as an option.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

How much is "some more hours"? To me a professional day is the same as you, 8 to 9 hours, but I would be happy to work 10. If they want more than that, I would point out that the contract does provide for additional time, and you would be happy to renegotiate if their requirement has changed. I worked for a US outfit (cowboys) who felt that a professional day was 10 hours and wouldn't pay overtime until you had done 50 hours, funnily enough they couldn't keep any contractors longer than a few months.

Comment

Sadly there are many places like this where it is expected you work extra hours as the norm.

You often find permies there do it for their bonus and promotion prospects, and it becomes expected of contractors too.

I hate these type of places.

I don't mind the odd late night here and there for deadlines, or if I've made a cock up I need to sort, but not as the norm.

Anywhere like that is just badly managed, and likely that will just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to workplace issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I don't mind the odd late night here and there for deadlines, or if I've made a cock up I need to sort, but not as the norm.

Anywhere like that is just badly managed, and likely that will just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to workplace issues.
        WHS. Now and then it's to be expected, particularly if you are involved in something cyclic like development where you will usually be a bit busier coming up to a release, but if it's continuous over a sustained period it's a sure sign of under resourcing or bad management.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          What would you do?
          Suggest he brings in another person for the short term and that you know just the person.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tough call this one. I don't believe that 'professional day' equates to 8 hours at all. 8 hours is a basic day, no more. Professional day to me implies you do, within reason, whatever is needed to fulfil your role. This is open to abuse of course but it offers a level of professional flexibility. 9 hours more than fulfils that I believe and this request is above and beyond if it is for a sustained period.

First thing is find out what is important to you that can be negotiated. You say he is a good guy, will he be willing to manage this himself. Ideas I would put to him are a days in lieu (you know what I mean), half days when it gets quieter, more flexible working conditions and so on. Pick the ones that suit you and put it to him. Options that suit me for example would be....

Day off but billed. Agree that when enough hours accrued you can bill a day you are not working. (day in lieu so to speak)
            Extra day billed. Same as above but bill a Saturday when you have enough time. Wouldn't go down well on our contract as would count as overtime and raise some flags.
            WFH is very welcome to me so some extra WFH days if they are not already available.

Suggest he brings in another person for the short term and that you know just the person.
            Great idea. This will fly for sure....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just had one of the Middle Office managers that I work with, nice bloke, ask me if I can put some more hours in as we have a high workload at the moment.

My contracts says my rate is "per professional day" and elsewhere implies this is counted as an 8 hour day, and that there is no overtime payable.

What would you do?

Asking my approving manager to sign off a few additional days has been muted as an option.
              Just tell him that you will have to charge or take time in leiu. Then ask him to request that from the person who signs the timesheets by email and get it signed off.

Otherwise, the answer is no. He doesn't sign your sheets.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, just spoken to him and he is going to email my approving manager.

Be interesting to see what,if anything, comes out of it.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

What would you do?

Try asking your plumber if he can install an extra bathroom for free. If they need you to work more time that is on the contract, you should charge for it, otherwise you are a charity.

You contract will state the weekly hours divide that by 5 and that is how many hours you should work before charging more.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Try asking your plumber if he can install an extra bathroom for free. If they need you to work more time that is on the contract, you should charge for it, otherwise you are a charity.

You contract will state the weekly hours divide that by 5 and that is how many hours you should work before charging more.
                    Using the plumber example I managed to get the plumber to paint my bathroom ceiling for free. So doing an extra hour now and again is fine.

However continually doing 9 hour days when you are only paid for 8 hours (unless you waste an equivalent of an hour or more a day on sites like this) is acting like a charity.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X