• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client not renewing - how to advise of risks and managing the fallout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client not renewing - how to advise of risks and managing the fallout

I've been contracting at this client for some time now, and it's a pretty substantial technical role that I cover. Things are changing though, and management does not want to renew my contract as they are cutting costs and offshoring everything, without any handover, planning or thoughts about their client service.

I have accepted that I will be leaving, and have already found other opportunities. My concern with this current client is that they will experience significant project and Live issues after I leave, and will end up blaming me (easy to point the finger at those who are absent).

The offshore teams are capable of basic tasks, but in no way are they able to handle the complex tasks, and they lack the high-level architectural view which is essential to resolve critical issues that occur. This will have impact on projects, and more importantly on clients that are dependent on critical feeds in the Live environment.

I've spoken to management about the risks involved,but they do not care, i.e. they are pretty much tunnel visioned on the offshoring aspect and hence not amenable to any discussion on the subject.

My next step is to put this in writing to several managers, to make sure that everyone knows that I have highlighted the risks involved. The point is that I do not want to be held accountable for anything that goes wrong once I've left, due to poor strategy and lack of understanding at management level.

I would appreciate your opinions because at the moment I can see only the following options:-

1) Leave, don't give a damn and let them muddle through. Problem is that I could be blamed for issues, in my absence, and hence not have a chance of return business.

2) Before leaving, make sure that the risks are well known and offer to be available for consultancy afterwards, at a substantially increased rate (say 3x daily rate).

Has anyone here been in a similar situation?

**** 'em take option 1

They've shown you the door, might as well do what they ask and walk through it

Once you've left and the problems start, they'll probably blame the offshore team. Even if they did blame you do you really want the return business after being terminated in such a manner?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

WSS

They've made their decision, presumably based on some 'facts' that they've taken into account.

Whether they are right or wrong is not really your concern. If they've not asked you to put their risks in front of them, then don't. Concentrate on finding your next gig.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Write a letter to them (Probably the MD or someone in senior management) advising them of what you have been told, that your work is being off-shored and that you have not been asked to produce any handover to the offshore team advising them that you cannot accept any responsibilities if the offshore team are unable to use / maintain / support / <enter appropriate text here? the application / product / <enter appropriate text here>.

You may want to get a lawyer or solicitor to write the letter on your behalf and make sure it goes by Recorded Delivery, citing that you can prove that the letter has been sent. You may want to make sure that the letter that is posted is witnessed (not sure how) in case of doubt.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Write a letter to them (Probably the MD or someone in senior management) advising them of what you have been told, that your work is being off-shored and that you have not been asked to produce any handover to the offshore team advising them that you cannot accept any responsibilities if the offshore team are unable to use / maintain / support / <enter appropriate text here? the application / product / <enter appropriate text here>.

You may want to get a lawyer or solicitor to write the letter on your behalf and make sure it goes by Recorded Delivery, citing that you can prove that the letter has been sent. You may want to make sure that the letter that is posted is witnessed (not sure how) in case of doubt.
          This is a good point, considering that I would not want to be legally liable for any future mishaps which occur after I leave.

I should probably speak to my agency about this, as they may also stand to be liable.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            This is a good point, considering that I would not want to be legally liable for any future mishaps which occur after I leave.

I should probably speak to my agency about this, as they may also stand to be liable.
            The agency may be liable, but the agency would sue you for losses. But it is a good point that you should consult the agency as well. Good luck.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I've spoken to management about the risks involved,but they do not care, i.e. they are pretty much tunnel visioned on the offshoring aspect and hence not amenable to any discussion on the subject.
              Then just leave it at that. They'll oursource it to a bunch of folks with little or no clue who will run the thing into the ground. By the time it all goes tulip shaped the guys from your company who did the off shoring will have taken their fat bonuses and moved on. After a about 3 or 4 years they will realise that it was a big old mistake and they'll bring it all back in house.

My next step is to put this in writing to several managers, to make sure that everyone knows that I have highlighted the risks involved. The point is that I do not want to be held accountable for anything that goes wrong once I've left, due to poor strategy and lack of understanding at management level.
              I wouldn't do that. It's their company, if they want to screw it up then let them. Make it clear to them that you are doing everything you can to facilitate a smooth handover and you are always willing to come back and do business with them again should they need you. Don't go and tell them they are shooting themselves in the foot because you'll just piss them off.

1) Leave, don't give a damn and let them muddle through. Problem is that I could be blamed for issues, in my absence, and hence not have a chance of return business.
              2) Before leaving, make sure that the risks are well known and offer to be available for consultancy afterwards, at a substantially increased rate (say 3x daily rate).
              Has anyone here been in a similar situation?
              You've been there too long and gotten emotionally attached to the job. Worrying about being blamed when you are gone and having fantasies about returning on triple rates are symptoms of this. I know because I left a permie job of 5 years and like you I cared a lot about the company and the projects. Our whole engineering and design department was disbanded and we handed it over to a bunch of nice but dim types and left the place to rot, they really didn't get it. It scared the tulip out of me and I felt bad for the folks we left behind to deal with these muppets. It broke me up for a while but it taught me that no one was irreplaceable and you have to not take it personally and move on.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Thanks Wanderer, that's an insightful and meaningful post. You're right in that I have become emotionally attached to the role and the company, reason being that I have been here a while and have built up a specific technical capability from scratch. I don't mind having to leave, but I hate to see the whole thing become entangled in inexperienced offshore hands. Frankly, yes I do care.
                The point about triple rates is that it would be like coming in for point consultancy, i.e. one day here or there, to firefight specific issues. So it's got to be worth my while and it's got to be high enough to make the client think about the consequences. I'd rather tell them this option before I leave, as opposed to being seen to hold them to ransom afterwards.

As for the email to management, I certainly would not say that the strategy is flawed or that they are going about things in the wrong way. I would simply want to let managers know that I won't be around any longer to answer their questions or solve their problems etc. I've built up a very good reputation and I want to uphold that to the end. Professionally, it's important to inform them of the changes coming and the risk involved.

Comment

Thanks Wanderer, that's an insightful and meaningful post. You're right in that I have become emotionally attached to the role and the company, reason being that I have been here a while and have built up a specific technical capability from scratch. I don't mind having to leave, but I hate to see the whole thing become entangled in inexperienced offshore hands. Frankly, yes I do care.
                  The point about triple rates is that it would be like coming in for point consultancy, i.e. one day here or there, to firefight specific issues. So it's got to be worth my while and it's got to be high enough to make the client think about the consequences. I'd rather tell them this option before I leave, as opposed to being seen to hold them to ransom afterwards.

As for the email to management, I certainly would not say that the strategy is flawed or that they are going about things in the wrong way. I would simply want to let managers know that I won't be around any longer to answer their questions or solve their problems etc. I've built up a very good reputation and I want to uphold that to the end. Professionally, it's important to inform them of the changes coming and the risk involved.
                  Isn't this indirectly saying that their strategy is flawed and they are going about things the wrong way - something you stated you don't want to do.

After all, their decision to offshore, in theory, should have factored in any risks - if it didn't, that's not your look out.

TBH, if things go pear shaped once you leave, your name will be mud regardless of how you left purely because that is the easiest way for all who are still there to cover their arses.

How about a simple email, just before you leave, thanking them for the time you've been there, wishing them luck in the future and confirming your contact details in case of future work.

Comment

No don't do anything. Just leave with a smile and a handshake.

A letter "rubbishing" their new policy will go down like a lead balloon, and might actually black mark you. What it won't do is absolve you from future blame. Let them make it work, they're already committed now, many hundreds of thousands of pounds will have already changed hands.

This would be like going to someone after they've spent thousands on a new car, and telling them what a bad decision they made, and pointing out all it's faults.

I don't see why anyone will blame anyone who's not there.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 May 2011, 12:41.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X