• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40hr week what the ...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40hr week what the ...?

Has anyone else had to sign a contract working a 40 hour week (excl lunch) which means working 9-6pm. I have been working for 11 years and have always worked 35 hrs per week.

I have quoted the client £350 per day based on a 35 hr week, they did say it was a 40 hr week which I though mean't 35 hrs work and 5hrs lunch. Which now means I need to renegotiate the rate to £400 per day instead or reduce the hours to 35.

Anyone else signed a contract requesting above 35 hrs? new to me

Originally posted by akhtara7 View Post
    Has anyone else had to sign a contract working a 40 hour week (excl lunch) which means working 9-6pm. I have been working for 11 years and have always worked 35 hrs per week.

I have quoted the client £350 per day based on a 35 hr week, they did say it was a 40 hr week which I though mean't 35 hrs work and 5hrs lunch. Which now means I need to renegotiate the rate to £400 per day instead or reduce the hours to 35.

Client in wanting more for less during a recession SHOCKER!
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

35?

I always assume 37.5, have always had 37.5, and have never been offered a contract at either of the 2 extremes you describe.

What business are you in?

Comment

Mine is per professional day, although they see this as an 8 hour day.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I have always been contracted to work a 40 hour week. So long as they are paying, I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            35?

I always assume 37.5, have always had 37.5, and have never been offered a contract at either of the 2 extremes you describe.

What business are you in?
            J2EE Developer/Designer

Comment

But you are a contractor. You work to whatever each contract states and multiple clients. Assuming you have worked x way for y years is not the right frame of mind. If your new one is different from your old one you have two options, take it or leave it. Complaining isn't one of them.

Questions I have are.. How do you know it is 9-6? Is this what the client has stipulated? Is this or the 40 hours in your contract? If so you have a much bigger issue of IR35 to consider.

I never have hours in my contract if I can help it but use the term 'Professional day/week' and just agree something with the client verbally. Saying that it has been many moons since I have been on a contract where working to the clock has been an option so flexibility has always been a must.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My last two gigs hae been a 40 hour week, sign of the times.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

My contract states 8:30 - 5:30 with a hour for lunch. Never taken an hour for lunch and never worked until 5:30.

Comment

I'm used to doing a 37.5 hour week, but its not unusual to do 40, I get the feeling 35 is now getting more rare.

Basically suck it up, your a contractor, your meant to be flexible, thats why they pay you more than a permie.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X