• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working without all the paperwork in place

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working without all the paperwork in place

What would you do if you had verbally been given approval from ClientCo that they want you to renew, but come the Monday morning the agency hasn't received the Purchase Order, would you take a duvet day or come in and have faith that the paper work will sort its self out

(PS This hasn't happened to me, I'm just thinking hypodermically)
    Last edited by SimonMac; 3 May 2011, 09:57.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I'd go for plan A don't pee off a customer without very good reason.

So roll in and take the money knowing that the client will sort the paperwork out.

There is only one time when I haven't done so when the agent had already suggested I leave due to possible financial issues at the client (2 months later it turned out to be true).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      What would you do if you had verbally been given approval from ClientCo that they want you to renew, but come the Monday morning the agency hasn't received the Purchase Order, would you take a duvet day or come in and have faith that the paper work will sort its self out
      You have to make an assessment on whether you believe the client intends on raising the PO for your renewal. If you believe the intent is there, and you want to renew, then I would continue to provide a service to the client. I would ask the client and / or agent (depends on your relationship, etc) to put in writing a letter of intent to say that they intend on raising a PO with rough timelines on when that would be done.

Also, you may wish to ask the client, if the PO falls through, would they be willing to pay for any work done during the period where a PO was not covered. (Don't know if this has any weight or not, so apology if this is a daft idea).
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        You have to make an assessment on whether you believe the client intends on raising the PO for your renewal. If you believe the intent is there, and you want to renew, then I would continue to provide a service to the client. I would ask the client and / or agent (depends on your relationship, etc) to put in writing a letter of intent to say that they intend on raising a PO with rough timelines on when that would be done.

Also, you may wish to ask the client, if the PO falls through, would they be willing to pay for any work done during the period where a PO was not covered. (Don't know if this has any weight or not, so apology if this is a daft idea).
        I'm not in that boat but thinking out loud, my theory is if I don't turn up I lose a days invoicing, if I turn up and not get paid I lose a days invoicing so I might as well come in anyway!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Bottom line is that legally, and commercially, you shouldn't continue on without an extension contract in place. Your insurer may not cover you unless you can prove the contract was continuing and was affirmed by the client.

Presumably you get on well with the client but the best way to cover yourself is to request the agent or the client or both to send an email confirming the extension details (rate, length etc) as per the current T's and C's agreed to and reply to that stating 'agreed subject to contract'. THat way if they do change anything you can always pull out etc.

But don't ever be onsite without something in writing in place or its at your own risk.

Comment

I'm not in that boat but thinking out loud, my theory is if I don't turn up I lose a days invoicing, if I turn up and not get paid I lose a days invoicing so I might as well come in anyway!
            Another way of looking at it is... if you don't turn up, the client can cancel the PO and you lose the extension. If you turn up and the PO starts from 3 days later, you lose 3 days invoicing. It's a judgement call.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I am with SimonMac on this one. Couple of days here or there with the worst case being losing those days when I wasn't going to have them anyway is well worth the risk. More than a week and I would have to re-think. I would also be back on the market looking straight away as well just in case.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Take a duvet day.

A contractor I'm working with at the moment is chasing his extension. He isn't coming in if the paperwork isn't sorted within the next 7 days.

He warned the client a few weeks ago but there has been a change in management and the new guy hasn't sorted it out yet. The new management guy is aware he isn't coming in if it's not sorted, which will **** this project up even more.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Fair point!
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X