• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Qatar - Anyone Worked There?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by george99 View Post
    Hmmm - I'll be pretty pissed off if I find I'm going to be paying UK taxes when I'm not even using UK services?!!
    From what I understand these days, to qualify now for free of UK tax on all earmings you have to be out of the UK for at least a full tax year (you fail on that score if you leave today for 1 year contract) and you have to cut all ties with the UK. You can return for no more than 90 days per year. Having a family still here, a house here (unless long term rented out), having a golf club membership, a dentists, a doctors, UK bank account, credit card etc... will all see you still caught under the latest interpretations by HMRC. Good luck.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Whatever you do don't upset your employer. You need his permission to leave the country.

The dangers of working in Qatar - Business News, Business - The Independent
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Whatever you do don't upset your employer. You need his permission to leave the country.

The dangers of working in Qatar - Business News, Business - The Independent
        Very true. I know personally of a person who had a car accident with a local, naturally as ain expat worker it is your fault in their eyes. But his employer stopped paying him and refused to sign the exit visa. This resulted in the person being stuck in Qatar with no income and no way to leave. He only survived through the generosity of friends and colleagues who supported him financially until he got permission to leave. A very bad state of affairs indeed.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
        X