• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Collective

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Collective

Hi Guys,

First off, I am not an agent, I am not in recruitment in any way, I am currently employed (but probably not for long) by Imtech ICT. I have been a contractor in the not so distant past. I can be easily found on Linkedin Jason Marston | LinkedIn that makes it even easier.

I am looking into returning to contracting. I still have several contacts, but I simply don't want to work in London, and I am sure a lot of you guys get that

It is my belief that, if contractors, as larger companies do, band together, refer each other, and try to keep the rates from hitting rock bottom, then we can all benefit.

Would anyone be interested in joining a group that supports professionalism, standards, integrity, and maybe if we do it right, is a badge of excellence?

I am talking about setting up a north west group, that is none profit, with no income stream at all, where north west consultants under the contractor banner can have a collective mark of excellence, or such, and share information to help us all.

No request for references, no fees, just honest talk between professionals to establish a common support infrastructure that could become a quality standard if we do it right.

What do you think? If you think I am talking out of my arse, don't worry, I have heard far worse over the years.

Think of it like a chamber of commerce, but not linked to a specific town and for contractors, or independent consultants as I prefer to call us.

I can already hear people now saying, that is what contractoruk is, but that is not correct. Contractoruk is a place for all contractors in the uk to discuss everything and anything.

I am talking about a specific focused organisations, based on, professionalism, standards, rates and such, with no agents allowed as members only independent consultants.

Home | PCG

As for no fees, professionalism and excellence takes time and money to develop, you just can't rustle it up and expect it to happen (see the Institute of Service Management).

But since you're prepared to put this before earning money, good luck!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Home | PCG

As for no fees, professionalism and excellence takes time and money to develop, you just can't rustle it up and expect it to happen (see the Institute of Service Management).

But since you're prepared to put this before earning money, good luck!
      I don't put it before earning money, this is something that can be done easily in the time remaining in the day. Especially if other people get involved in managing it, but that is not required. I don't sleep a lot :P

Last year I was working 18-20 hours a day all year. I think I have forgotten how to sleep to be honest.

Saying it is not for profit and has no income stream does not mean I put it before earning money. Ever heard the phrase you reap what you sow?

Look at it this way, if professionals band together, have a quality mark, and that can be used to an advantage, why would anyone not want to be invovolved, especially if it costs them nothing?

I am thinking old world guilds, without the membership fee, but with the peer review.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        I am thinking old world guilds, without the membership fee, but with the peer review.
        Haven't you just described the "Recommendations" section of Linked In?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Haven't you just described the "Recommendations" section of Linked In?
          Not at all, the recommendations bit on linkedin is great, but hardly a peer review,

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of nice recomendations via that. I am not talking about only recomendations though. Did you not read my entire posting?

Comment

The problem you'll have is that contractors will behave like two strange cats stuck in a small room if there's the slightest hint that a competitor may find out about a role they're after.

Far too insular and protective of our own stuff to bother with what anyone else is doing. If we're in a role then the market is fantastic and the world is fine, if we're benched then the market is a pig and bring on the revolution (as long as it helps us beat everyone else to that good gig).

Yesterday, I passed on two very good opportunities to people I know because I'm in a decent contract with lots of time to go. If I'd been close to contract renewal or looking then I'd have hidden those roles away and pretended they didn't exist, even if asked directly.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              The problem you'll have is that contractors will behave like two strange cats stuck in a small room if there's the slightest hint that a competitor may find out about a role they're after.

Far too insular and protective of our own stuff to bother with what anyone else is doing. If we're in a role then the market is fantastic and the world is fine, if we're benched then the market is a pig and bring on the revolution (as long as it helps us beat everyone else to that good gig).

Yesterday, I passed on two very good opportunities to people I know because I'm in a decent contract with lots of time to go. If I'd been close to contract renewal or looking then I'd have hidden those roles away and pretended they didn't exist, even if asked directly.
              WCS I'm afraid. I have tried this myself and find that, while the idea is great, people are too reticent/can't be bothered to buy into it.
              FWIW though....I'll join the group if you start it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
              Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

But that just means you're only in "cats stuck in a small room" mode when you're facing the bench. You probably spend less than 25% of your time in that situation and over 75% in the "passing on opportunities" mode.
                I think it is a good idea, just not one that will succeed on the strength of the idea alone. It will take lots of publicising and reputation-bilding to establish a critical mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  I am thinking old world guilds.
                  Do you dress up as a wizard and play World of Warcraft in your spare time by any chance?
                  Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Nice to see that you do network and do pass on opportunities to people you trust. However, you are forgetting that many contracts you may find out about, may not relate to what you do yourself. I have in the past had to say, "Sorry I don't know anyone who does that.", when asked for people to fill specific requirements.

You are also forgetting that what goes around comes around. The more contacts you make, the more likely you can find a new contract without a pimp being involved.

So, step one. Make some proper contacts, not just aliases seen on a board. There are many "networking" groups and such, that other small businesses in the North West buy into. Tell me, are you guys, hidden employees or are you businesses?

The attitude I have heard so far is the hidden employee attitude. I am not asking anyone to help a competitor, I am asking people to help themselves as a group.

Comment

Working...
                    X