• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ditching agent...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditching agent...

Currently going through the process for a role at an IB. Unfortunately the agent I chose to go with originally is ******* useless. It's not the done thing, but what would it look like if I ditched the current agent and went with another one, mid-hiring process?

Had a phone interview on a Tuesday (which took 2 weeks to arrange - another guy I know who also had a phone interview got his within 24 hours) then spoke to the agent afterwards who said they'd get back to me with feedback by the end of that week. No contact, so emailed him Monday, he said he was speaking to the client that day and would contact me later on the same day. No contact - so phoned him the following Friday "yeah, client was impressed, wants to take it to the next stage" - why am I chasing the agent for this? I can't see the value this guy is adding.

I've had conversations with other agents about the same role, after initial contact with the first agent, so I could get another agent to represent me. Not sure it's the best thing to do though ...

why am I chasing the agent for this? I can't see the value this guy is adding.
    That's agents for you. You are just a commoditiy to him and if he can spend his time working on something revenue generating while this plods on in the background he will. V annoying indeed.

Ditching agents while midway through the process is not good. The first one will claim first dibs on you and kick up a right fuss if you do switch which is not going to do your cause any good. The client uses agents to do away with the hassle to the last thing he wants is two agents moaning and fighting over contractors.

Of course if it means you are not going to get the gig you have no choice but I would tread carefully.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No that is definitely not a good idea. Not being contacted by agents is par for the course. I think it's fairly normal to wait a week or two for a first tel. interview, the 24 Hr thing was sheer luck that the PM was available and had a slot free. The reason he didn't get back to you sooner was because he had nothing to say, sometiimes it takes a while, which incidentally is a sign that the client is probably looking hard at other candidates.

Take it easy man......it goes slowly in the banks, they'll be interviewing three hundred other candidates, so you probably won't get it anway, the client (no not the agent) is not falling over himself to get you. You'll have to be shortlisted about 5 or 6 times before you land one.

Follow up other other leads and respond when you have to. You need to be active in about 5-10 roles, and then you'll land one. But don't hang your hopes on one.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 April 2011, 10:12.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        No that is definitely not a good idea. Not being contacted by agents is par for the course. I think it's fairly normal to wait a week or two for a first tel. interview, the 24 Hr thing was sheer luck that the PM was available and had a slot free. The reason he didn't get back to you sooner was because he had nothing to say, sometiimes it takes a while, which incidentally is a sign that the client is probably looking hard at other candidates.

Take it easy man......it goes slowly in the banks, they'll be interviewing three hundred other candidates, so you probably won't get it anway, the client (no not the agent) is not falling over himself to get you. You'll have to be shortlisted about 5 or 6 times before you land one.
        The client confirmed, during the phone interview, that there are 16 candidates being looked at for this role. The client also said the process does take time. I have no problems with this, am not in a rush, not sure I'd take the role if offered it, but I am expecting some competency from the agent to keep me up to date.

Not phoning me when they haven't been able to contact the client I can understand. But not phoning having spoken to the client and got a positive response about the phone interview - ffs, that's just seems amateurish.

One issue may be that it seems my agent isn't on the PSL, so is having to go through a larger agent that is. Still, no excuse for being piss-poor at your job!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          why am I chasing the agent for this? I can't see the value this guy is adding.
          Agents are not there to add value for you. You are there as raw material for them.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Could look at it this way... is their personal skills are so sloppy, then maybe there are big gapping holes in their contract that you can exploit in payback.

Comment

This is agents for you. The good ones are few and far between. Until an agent lands you the interview its open season and you should go with whomever you want.

Comment

Working...
              X