• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should a contractor have a conscience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
    Where's your Issue?

There is a business/incumbent that cannot perform, you've been recalled to perform and do what the current incumbent cannot do.........where does conscience come into play?
    WHS+1 Sums it all up in one sentence for me.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      However it means that they are going to terminate the contract of the guy who took over from me. Feeling slightly guilty about this as he is a sound guy and I have been out for drinks with him a few times over the last 9 months.
      The guy who took over from you may hate the role anyway. Some people stick in roles longer than they should.

If you are happy doing it as the management isn't bad just take it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The guy who took over from you may hate you anyway.
        FTFY
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Take it, do it, add a premium etc, but make peace with the guy shortly after you've received the contract. Regardless of quality, he's at the same level as you roughly, so there's a good possibility he could come back to bite you in the ar5e if you don't. If it was me, I'd ring him up after the first day and say to him "I'd rather you heard this from me, than through the grapevine - XYZ client has drafted me in to finish the project off. I hope you understand" Shortly followed by "I'm out of work, and was asked to do a contract - it's obviously a simple equation for me."

Hope that helps
          TAV
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            Have just had a phone call from the manager on my contract that I completed last May, asking if I would like to come back to continue the same role.

Not ideal as the role was boring, but hey as is quoted often on here, as long as you are invoicing, right?

However it means that they are going to terminate the contract of the guy who took over from me. Feeling slightly guilty about this as he is a sound guy and I have been out for drinks with him a few times over the last 9 months.
            Kill or be killed.

Comment

Back to the bench for me. Going to start looking from Monday. How is the market at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
                Back to the bench for me. Going to start looking from Monday. How is the market at the moment?
                Booming.

Or Dead.

Depending upon to whom you speak.

Whatever, approach the market with a clear conscience.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

A contractor is a person and generally people should have a conscience. Yet nothing in your situation seems even slightly dodgy.
                  The only thing you might do is tell the other guy, if you know him enough to be sure he won't screw things up... you don't know for sure you'd be replacing him, they might be using him elsewhere or he might even have a new contract and is dropping them. I'd say being a decent guy pays off in the long run, if you know him well enough that it would be considered friendly rather than weird, give him a call.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    A contractor is a person and generally people should have a conscience. Yet nothing in your situation seems even slightly dodgy.
                    The only thing you might do is tell the other guy, if you know him enough to be sure he won't screw things up... you don't know for sure you'd be replacing him, they might be using him elsewhere or he might even have a new contract and is dropping them. I'd say being a decent guy pays off in the long run, if you know him well enough that it would be considered friendly rather than weird, give him a call.
                    Deep.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well it seemed a dumb question, like "should a contractor eat breakfast?" I was expecting to be told, "he's not a person, he's a business"
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X