• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 Second Interviews - Gap In Times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Second Interviews - Gap In Times

I had two interviews for two similar contract roles last week. I would be happy to undertake both roles and both clientcos want me to come back for second interviews ().

However the times of these interviews are over 1 week apart.

Role 1 - has the slight edge in preference and is paying 20% higher rate. However they cannot second interview me until next week due to availability.

Role 2 - is slightly nearer to home (1/2 hour journey time saving each way) which would make balance out the rate difference. They want to interview me this week with a view to starting straight away.

I know this is a good position to be but I want to have both interviews before making any decisions.

The agent is trying to bring the interview date for role 1 forward. If role 2 is offered this week I feel like I should accept given that I am not guaranteed to be offered role 1.

So my options if the role 1 interview cannot be brought forward as I see it are to;
    i) delay role 2 interview if possible until interview date is nearer to role 1
    ii) take role 2 if offered and take the hit on the rate
    iii) wait for the interview for role 1 and take the risk of it not being offered
    iv) explain to the situation to both agents and agree to wait for both interviews before deciding

Any comments/advice please ?
    Last edited by kaiser78; 7 February 2011, 09:54.

If both roles offered you the position today - which would you take?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      If both roles offered you the position today - which would you take?
      Would be happy with either but role 1 would edge role 2.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        I had two interviews for two similar contract roles last week. I would be happy to undertake both roles and both clientcos want me to come back for second interviews ().

Role 1 - has the slight edge in preference and is paying 20% higher rate. However they cannot second interview me until next week due to availability.

Role 2 - is slightly nearer to home (1/2 hour journey time saving each way) which would make balance out the rate difference. They want to interview me this week with a view to starting straight away.

I know this is a good position to be but I want to have both interviews before making any decisions.

The agent is trying to bring the interview date for role 1 forward. If role 2 is offered this week I feel like I should accept given that I am not guaranteed to be offered role 1.

So my options if the role 1 interview cannot be brought forward as I see it are to;
        iii) wait for the interview for role 1 and take the risk of it not being offered
        iv) explain to the situation to both agents and agree to wait for both interviews before deciding

Come on Kaiser, surely you should be basing your decision on which contract actually gets issued first....or the length of time it takes for the contract for the 1st offer to come through, for example, go in for your 1st interview, get offered, but they mess about and don't send the contract until the second week, by then you've had the second interview and the second contract could be issued before the first....

Comment

20% is a big difference. Let's walk this one through: if role 2=£400/day, this makes role 1=£480/day. For role 2, you have 1 hour less travel time each day i.e. you would be earning £80 for that extra 1 hour travel at role 1.

Sounds like role 1 all the way. If you're confident about getting both offers I would be tempted to negotiate openly with the agents/clients to reach a deal you are happy with.

Comment

A bird in the hand......

Comment

Have now been advised that role 1 interview now not for another 2 weeks and then the decision thereafter. Also this cannot be brought forward and I don't want to wait for another 2 weeks.
              So role 2 is the safer bet at the moment which I will have to ask for a closer rate to role 1.

Comment

So I had my 2nd interview for role 2 on Friday and have 2nd for role 1 next Wednesday now. Role 1 is my preference still.

I am likely to hear about role 2 tomorrow, and if offered I either need to accept and forget role 1, or try to delay making any final decisions until after Wednesday.

By delaying the decision on role 2, I can accept subject to contract and find something in the contract I am not happy about enough to not take on the role if role 1 is offered. I can't help but feel though that this is getting messy and if role 2 is offered I should just take it.

Comment

General question, then: It seems common for the decision to be made after the second interview, is that right?

In the USA, things are variable, of course, but three interviews for any serious job is the norm. If you know someone well who is tight on the inside, you can finesse the contract with one interview. But, really... even in a good market, which this is not, three interviews lets everyone involved meet everyone else and all the decision makers can feel that they did their work.

Comment

Originally posted by mmarotta View Post
                    General question, then: It seems common for the decision to be made after the second interview, is that right?

In the USA, things are variable, of course, but three interviews for any serious job is the norm. If you know someone well who is tight on the inside, you can finesse the contract with one interview. But, really... even in a good market, which this is not, three interviews lets everyone involved meet everyone else and all the decision makers can feel that they did their work.
                    What gives? Come on whose sockie was this which just received possibly the fastest ban of all time.

3 Posts. RC. You were the first to look at his. Anything you want to admit to?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X