• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the bst way to negotiate a 3-day week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the bst way to negotiate a 3-day week

I am mid-contract and there is not a huge amount of work remaining. For this reason and the fact that I have other work ongoing outside of the contract I want to drop from 5 days/week down to 3days/week.

What is the best way to go about suggesting this?

Obviously I could just ask directly, but the client is one who sees contractors as temp employees/bums on seats and might construe the request as evidence that I am not committed to the work and want out. Which is not the case. i.e. it might reduce still further the chances of her renewing me in 6 weeks time.

How can I suggest the change whilst remaining clear in my commitment to continuing to work for the client?

You could offer to be on-call for a small retainer, so if they need you on the 2 days off then you are available to deal with any urgent issues. That would give them some confidence in that you are always contactable. Given the low workload, it's unlikely you'd be called anyway, but it's a show of faith.

Comment

I'd recommend just having a chat with your effective line manager at the client. The decision will lie with them ultimately and you'll be able to make sure your intentions are clearly explained. Just let your agency know the outcome so its not a surprise to them.

Comment

Two things to agree with the line manager that I would certainly demand from you: a guarantee that you deliver the same volume of work as you do now and that there is some kind of recompense if you don't.

That's assuming you're not in a support role where your presence is a daily necessity, even if you are ticking over. If you are then there may not be a saving to the client anyway, since the work still needs to be covered and so someone else will be asked to do more to compensate
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          What is the best way to go about suggesting this?

How can I suggest the change whilst remaining clear in my commitment to continuing to work for the client?
          Tricky one. Two approaches suggest themselves.

1. You need help - Say you need some more time for personal / family / health related issues (We all do). Say that it will save them money and you will make sure that no adverse impacts occur as a result. Offer to come back to 5 days a week when either you or the client wants. Offer a trial period of a month to see if it works.

2. You are offering help - Be blunt and say that there isn't enough work for 5 days. You can save them money by reducing your work to 3 days. Noble and Increases credibility but risks your contract and extension as the client wisens to the bums on seats concept which applies to all contractors anyway.

3. Offer to work 2 days from home / remotely for half the rate. Or even offer to work 3 days remotely and come in on Tuesday / Thursday. helps to get another 3 days a week contract. again guarantee to insulate from adverse impact.

Cant see the client getting pissed off by any of the above. but it still might mean no extension as the client realises the lack of workload (something that they are paid to know but never do). You then risk a long stretch in the wilderness.

Comment

Much easier to do at a renewal than mid contract. Why not carry on taking their money until a renewal, and do it then ??
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              Much easier to do at a renewal than mid contract. Why not carry on taking their money until a renewal, and do it then ??
              WTMS, especially true if a potential renewal is only 6 weeks away.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
              X