• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An Open Challenge to "The Agents View"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Grow up. You posted a thread in a serious forum deliberately to antagonise another member, one who has put considerable time and effort into explaining and defending agency behaviour to a community who don't really like agents. We might not all agree with or like what he says, but that's not the point. Not that you'd know that because you steam in here all high & mighty.

And if you value quality rather than quantity of posts, what's your excuse?
    I am new to this forum

I have attempted to help & ask questions based on my own interpretation of the issue and using my own style and personality

I can point you to 3 different examples where I have been "attacked" using defamority remarks by "forum regulars" and it has grown tiresome - this is a response to being provoked

If you wish to have your own forum, where you all slap each other on the back, tell each other how great you all are, then I suggest you - "get a room?"

if you want an open forum, with new posters, new ideas, new blood, coming in then perhaps you should think about how to encourage that and examine why most of the posts and responses here appear to come from regulars and not new people.

this is my last post on this matter, if a Mod doesn't like what I write or my style of writing, or whatever, then please feel free to say something, ban me whatever. otherwise, I suggest you Mod wanna-bes should go back to looking for work or calling TAV?
    Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
      I am new to this forum
      Yes, yes you are, and so far you've contributed to a couple of threads, and started your own, all of which have ended in you being "attacked". Ever think maybe its you, rather than the rest of the forum?

I have attempted to help & ask questions based on my own interpretation of the issue and using my own style and personality
      No - you've made a personal challenge to me, which I have answered and tried to educate you on......unfortunately, you've decided to argue about your perceived status on this forum.... Confused? Yes, me too....

I can point you to 3 different examples where I have been "attacked" using defamority remarks by "forum regulars" and it has grown tiresome - this is a response to being provoked

Your tone is sarcastic, and your "personality" defamatory - there is a difference between advising, and trying to impart your (slightly twisted) views.

If you wish to have your own forum, where you all slap each other on the back, tell each other how great you all are, then I suggest you - "get a room?"

if you want an open forum, with new posters, new ideas, new blood, coming in then perhaps you should think about how to encourage that and examine why most of the posts and responses here appear to come from regulars and not new people.
      We want a forum where views are expressed freely, but blatant attacks, closed mindedness, and inflammatory behaviour, are not the way to go about this. Listen and advise - you seem to just be advising. There's an age old recruitment saying - "two ears, one mouth" - think about it and apply it to what you type - you're applying 2 eyes, 8 fingers and two thumbs (unless you're from Swindon, in which case these numbers can vary).

this is my last post on this matter, if a Mod doesn't like what I write or my style of writing, or whatever, then please feel free to say something, ban me whatever. otherwise, I suggest you Mod wanna-bes should go back to looking for work or calling TAV?
      How pleasant of you - in times where a number of people are struggling to find work, you draw their attention to it - I bet you're a real charmer in real life too.....
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Please explain your defence of starting a thread specifically to attack a poster who you didn't agree with in another thread? How is this helpful? Why not continue a reasoned discussion in the original thread?

Also, what's your problem with forum members seeking to protect their forum community? Your logic seems to suggest if I witness someone doing something illegal in real life, I shouldn't intervene because I'd be "playing policeman". It's forum policy not to start threads like this, and that non-General forums are not for petty bickering... on which note I will consider my point made and let you get on with it rather than argue further.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

WRT this Thread: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...rtising-2.html

And in order to restore the confidence of human (well, contractor) kind in your business. I challenge you thus!

OPTION 1
          1. Post a contact number for yourself
          2. Discuss the personal requirement of each contractor that calls you
          3. Review & give constructive feedback on their CV
          4. Meet each candidate face to face for 30 minutes
          5. Call all your existing clients and sell the conractor's skill set to them
          6. Feed back to each candidate - minimum weekly with progress
          7. Take them out for lunch, get to know their kids etc

OPTION 2

Or alternatively, you could just put "Project Manager" in a search engine, pick the first 3 CV's that seem "OK" and spend the rest of the day cold calling IT Directors/Managers trying to get yourself seen/past their existing PSL.

Which option will TAV go for do we think?
          Tip of the day_

If you support option 1
          Dont apply for a job managing a recruitment agency
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Tip of the day_

If you support option 1
            Dont apply for a job managing a recruitment agency
            Quite.....

I love the theory of option 1 - I wish it were possible, but it's not, so contractors really need to learn how to play the game, rather than moaning about it......
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Back in 1998 when I started contracting through to 2005 (ish), I never got one single CV passed onto a client without first meeting someone from the agency. A few of them were very candid that they'd been burned by contractors with problems from outright rudeness to massive hygiene issues when they'd sent on otherwise excellent candidates' CVs to clients without meeting them.

Since 2005 though I've only had two agencies insist on a face-to-face before putting me forward.

From my perspective, a lot of that comes from a change in many recruitment agencies, far too many rely on overworking 18-20 year olds on commission spamming both the client and contractor markets trying to get a wedge in the preferred supplier relationships. If an agency takes 3-5 days from contacting a contractor to arranging a meeting then preparing a top-end covering note/pitch for that contractor then they're going to struggle in today's market.

I would not do a recruitment consultant's job for any money. It's like hell-desk work but lower satisfaction.

Comment

I am new to this forum

You rang?

Join a forum.
                Post a few "controversial" posts.
                Pick fights with the regulars/old hands.
                Complain because the board culture won't change to fit what you think it should be.
                Flounce.

Ban you? You'll have to do better than merely slightly tiresome.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                  From my perspective, a lot of that comes from a change in many recruitment agencies, far too many rely on overworking 18-20 year olds on commission spamming both the client and contractor markets trying to get a wedge in the preferred supplier relationships.
                  They are a bit older than 18.

Most of them are new graduates looking for quick money. The increasing number of graduates being churned out by universities makes it easier for agencies to demand a degree as an entry requirement as well.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    They are a bit older than 18.

Most of them are new graduates looking for quick money. The increasing number of graduates being churned out by universities makes it easier for agencies to demand a degree as an entry requirement as well.
                    The number of calls I've had over the last month from kids who sound barely out of puberty is getting silly. I had one "Senior Client Executive" call me, I thought it was a woman but turned out to be a bloke who sounded like his voice hadn't broken. Another demanded that I cut my CV to two pages before he'd consider me and that he'd never submitted a CV to a client over two pages "in all his years in the job". Another professed to be an expert in my niche industry but didn't know that my last client's name was one of the biggest in the industry. I could go on.

And, yes, I am a cynical old fart

Comment

Working...
                    X