• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having said that guys,

there is one place up north where your better off working in London that getting a job at. It's a place in Crewe and I managed 8 months there. They work you like a dog (9-6 min, but more expected) with a 30 min lunch break (if your lucky). They treat the permies like SH*TE so imagine how the contractors are treated!

If you get offered a role in crewe make sure the hours don't match the above as there is only one place I know of in the North West that has those kind of hours!

Comment

These people (London workers) seem to have no life outside work. In the north it's everybody out the door at 17:00 on the dot in order to pursue outside activities.
      You don't have to go far. Outside M25 that's the norm in most places.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        Having said that guys,

there is one place up north where your better off working in London that getting a job at. It's a place in Crewe and I managed 8 months there. They work you like a dog (9-6 min, but more expected) with a 30 min lunch break (if your lucky). They treat the permies like SH*TE so imagine how the contractors are treated!

If you get offered a role in crewe make sure the hours don't match the above as there is only one place I know of in the North West that has those kind of hours!
        If you think there is only one place up here with that work environment you are going to come down to earth with a bump. There are plenty that can be equal and worse than that and they range from big blue chips to smaller places believe me. Time will open your eyes young padawan.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Having said that guys,

8.5 hour day!!! You reckon that is bad?

I suppose at least if you're in London you get paid more for the trouble.

But an 8.5 hour day isn't bad really, I do that most days and think myself lucky that I got out early.

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          These people (London workers) seem to have no life outside work. In the north it's everybody out the door at 17:00 on the dot in order to pursue outside activities. The only people working beyond that are obviously on an hourly rate ;-)
          Really? Oh must be a different London, London Derry? Cos I get plenty of time out doing stuff.
          Last edited by Scrag Meister; 27 October 2010, 07:41.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

While talking to an agent yesterday he mentioned that I was the first british citizen he had spoken to that day.

it seems market is saturated with thousands of tier 1 visa holders who the agents prefer to place because of high margins.

I have no hope for the future. 5 months on the bench and counting.

Comment

Crewe

Only 8 months? You weakling, I did 18 months there and only left because a second project finished.

What you failed to do was to stamp your authority on the place. All you had to do was become the person the sales directors called when some salesmen grabbed all the stock and life became very easy. 5 simple sql queries, a standard form for change control approval at 6:30 as I walked out the door and live was cushy.

After that I sailed into the following 3 contracts without any interview based on my time there and its reputation with agents.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Having said that guys,

Sounds like a company whose name is two words, the first starting with an "A" and the second starting with a "P". Am I right? I was a staff guy for 11 years with them, it nearly killed me but I got a nice pay off when I got a large city solicitors firm on the case against them.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Sounds like a company whose name is two words, the first starting with an "A" and the second starting with a "P". Am I right? I was a staff guy for 11 years with them, it nearly killed me but I got a nice pay off when I got a large city solicitors firm on the case against them.
                  Nope but their building is opposite.

Comment

Hello All,
                    Read through this thread to try and figure out the state of the market and I'm still in the dark

I guess it's just a matter getting CV out there and seeing what comes back...

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                      Hello All,
                      Read through this thread to try and figure out the state of the market and I'm still in the dark

I guess it's just a matter getting CV out there and seeing what comes back...
                      A telephone call from an agent asking for two references.
                      Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X