• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens if you get ill and can't complete a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if you get ill and can't complete a contract?

Heya

First time contractor here. I'm about to sign a contract but concerned about one thing.

I'll be working for my own ltd company, which will be contracted to supply consulting services to a bank for a year. No notice can be served.

What happens if during a contract you break your hands/contract Ebola/give yourself a repetive strain injury? I'm concerned that a bank would seek compensation from my limited company for the delay to the project incurred by my being off-site.

Is this something I can insure against? Or seek contract terms to mitigate? It must have happened to somebody at some point...

Alex

It is your Ltd that is responsible, not you personally. If the client decided to go for broke then they'd sue the agency, and the agency would sue your company (assuming a 2 level contract).

It ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by soco View Post
      Heya

First time contractor here. I'm about to sign a contract but concerned about one thing.

I'll be working for my own ltd company, which will be contracted to supply consulting services to a bank for a year. No notice can be served.

What happens if during a contract you break your hands/contract Ebola/give yourself a repetive strain injury? I'm concerned that a bank would seek compensation from my limited company for the delay to the project incurred by my being off-site.

Is this something I can insure against? Or seek contract terms to mitigate? It must have happened to somebody at some point...

Alex
      Does your contract have a right of substitution? If the contract is with your Ltd co, you can send some one else while you're recovering from your Ebola infection.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Does your contract have a right of substitution? If the contract is with your Ltd co, you can send some one else while you're recovering from your Ebola infection.
        Yeah, well in theroy you could, but a lot of these contracts have an associated "authorized person" you.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
          Yeah, well in theroy you could, but a lot of these contracts have an associated "authorized person" you.
          WTF is this supposed to mean? He may have hit on a point if it made any sense.

It is much more likely you will get canned and replaced at some point, usually when it is apparant it is going to be long term and cause problems with the client.

Problem with a lot of substitution clauses is that although your contract has it in many clients aren't happy about honouring them and would prefer to find their own. Also there are many badly worded substitution clauses that allow the client to refuse the new guy with no reason so make sure you check the wording on the contract carefully. They can refuse if he is not suitable skill or experience wise but can't refuse him at their discretion.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            WTF is this supposed to mean? He may have hit on a point if it made any sense.

It is much more likely you will get canned and replaced at some point, usually when it is apparant it is going to be long term and cause problems with the client.

Problem with a lot of substitution clauses is that although your contract has it in many clients aren't happy about honouring them and would prefer to find their own. Also there are many badly worded substitution clauses that allow the client to refuse the new guy with no reason so make sure you check the wording on the contract carefully. They can refuse if he is not suitable skill or experience wise but can't refuse him at their discretion.
            If your client refused a suitable substitute, they'd have a tough job seeking compensation if you were genuinely sick, which was the OP's concern.

Comment

Heya

Alex
              Also the no notice can be served clause is a crock. If the company wants out they will do and vice versa.

I just had a client turn around to be and say 'Hi MF, can you finish up next week please as my budget has changed?'
              'Er no, we have a contact until the end of the month',
              'It says 'no notice', so I don't have to give notice'
              'No that means I dont have to give you notice!' came the response from the client. 'Well I think you'll find you are in breach of contact, so just make sure it's the end of the month as agreed'

As it happens if the client had wanted out, he could have just said work isnt up to standard or pulled a stunt with the agency.

If I really really wanted out and couldn't get agreement I'd just threaten the client or drop my trousers in a meeting.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You could claim Force majeure. The reality is that you are most likely trading through a limited liability company, contracted to an agency. The client would have to sue the agency (which they aren't going to do) and then the agency would have to sue your company (NOT you personally). The client can't sue you because they have no contract with you. Also, your company will have limited liability and it's most likely that the company won't have any assets (other than cash in the bank) so they could sue your company but they aren't going to get anything out of it.

Bottom line is: Don't worry about it.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I agree with Wanderer.

The end client has a contract with the agency to complete the work not your Ltd co. so if the client does sue, it can only sue the agency, not you. If you are genuinely ill, then as long as you are keeping your agency in the loop then I don't think it will be a problem.

If you are still worried - I'm sure there is a support group out there that you can join, or you could get an insurance product, or something...
                  Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

I wish people would stop with the substitution clause...95% of clients aren't going to pay some random person you bring in - not without interviewing them to find out they've got the skills required. Unless you've got some fixed price deliverable, you've got no chance! It's contractor fantasyland! I'd be very surprised if the clause exists on the agency - client contract, probably something to keep us moaning lot quiet and deluded about how IR35 friendly we are

In answer to the original question, its very very unlikely the client will do anything - if you're ill for an extended period they'll let you go and replace you. Things happen, they know they do, unless you're being malicious / awkward, they're going to be understanding of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X