• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens if you get ill and can't complete a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    I wish people would stop with the substitution clause...95% of clients aren't going to pay some random person you bring in - not without interviewing them to find out they've got the skills required. Unless you've got some fixed price deliverable, you've got no chance! It's contractor fantasyland! I'd be very surprised if the clause exists on the agency - client contract, probably something to keep us moaning lot quiet and deluded about how IR35 friendly we are
    No truer words spoken. Unfortunately, the IR35 zealots will not agree.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      No truer words spoken. Unfortunately, the IR35 zealots will not agree.
      I tested the water on this one - asked client whether, in principle, he'd be happy for me to get someone else to do the work. He said as far as he was concerned, the contract was with MyCo, and how the work got done was up to me. Shame I didn't have a voice recorder going!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        I tested the water on this one - asked client whether, in principle, he'd be happy for me to get someone else to do the work. He said as far as he was concerned, the contract was with MyCo, and how the work got done was up to me. Shame I didn't have a voice recorder going!
        We believe you! We're just miserable old cynics! I guess that's the exception rather than the rule - probably depends on the organisation - imagine if the person messed things up, and the manager took them on without checking them out.

Comment

We believe you! We're just miserable old cynics! I guess that's the exception rather than the rule - probably depends on the organisation - imagine if the person messed things up, and the manager took them on without checking them out.
          They don't vet the bobs - they just turn up and start work.

Comment

They don't vet the bobs - they just turn up and start work.
            That's just bad management - I know some bodyshop consultancies will do it with UK based people also. Personally I want to see CV's and have a at least a chat with anyone that's working for me on T&M.

As for bob - he's mostly awful! Some of the communication problems alone (forgetting if he really knows what he's doing), are reason enough to want to interview first.

Comment

Does your contract have a right of substitution? If the contract is with your Ltd co, you can send some one else while you're recovering from your Ebola infection.
              Spot the flaw in that plan.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I wish people would stop with the substitution clause...95% of clients aren't going to pay some random person you bring in - not without interviewing them to find out they've got the skills required. Unless you've got some fixed price deliverable, you've got no chance! It's contractor fantasyland! I'd be very surprised if the clause exists on the agency - client contract, probably something to keep us moaning lot quiet and deluded about how IR35 friendly we are
                I have always assumed this as well as I am sure that none of my past clients (all large blue chips) would not stand for this. They all had a raft of past contacts, people they know that could take over and would fall straight back on to these and dump you right to substitute, be it in your contract or not. Maybe small clients would see it as you helping them instead of going back to market via an agent but only in a very good working relationship, which wouldn't be that good if you were leaving.

I always thought it seemed reasonable in practice and worth trying but from experience here my doubts have grown as to it's real use.

I am sure in some cases it has worked but I also thought that as a fall back it was just words and would never come off.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X