• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Market / Sole Trader and oppertunities.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Market / Sole Trader and oppertunities.

After a lucrative contract for 3 years at Unilever - I paid my mortgage and was lucky enough to be more choosy in life.

After long slog with Citrix Vmware and windows support I looked for work that was more local but was yet again directed to London - m4 corridor etc - this meant working away from home and missing the kids etc.

After looking for a new contract locally last year and like others finding there was not much about - I setup as a sole trader this year offering small business consultancy across Lancashire and Merseyside.

Its going ok but hey making 1K a month is pretty hard work due to finding customers and getting established and also its paying somewhat less than usual contract rate I became accustomed too. (4-5k monthly)

Can any one offer advise what the market is like currently !
    I have been approached to do Citrix and VMware work again.

I cant decide on the work life balance or money!

1. Should I stay where I am albeit better to have 600 -1000 a month in pocket rather than enter back in to an unstable market - a 3 month contract is a gamble and if it ended after this I would be right back where I started.

Any advise appreciated or tips on how to bring in more work from the small business sector would be greatly appreciated.

John A
    mcp vcp cca ccna
    AllerTech Computer Services for Small Business

change from sole to ltd
    hire someone to enhance your local business
    contract yourself out for the juicy jobs

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      change from sole to ltd
      Hi John

I agree that you would benefit by being a limited company. It would also give your business a more professional feel. For as long as possible, do not register for VAT as your customer will suffer the cost.

As a small business starting out, try attending some of the local business and breakfast clubs. This could help get your name around and also give you the opportunity of doing a "pitch" on your business. Perhaps also consider doing a house to house leaflet drop. This is a relatively cheap way of advertising. If you do, make it a Sunday as it is proven that more people read fliers on a day that there is no post!

I wish you success.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyPlanIT View Post
        For as long as possible, do not register for VAT as your customer will suffer the cost.
        Depends who your customers are. If they are businesses they'll not care either way.

Network events are worth looking at, like 4N, though they can have membership costs.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Depends who your customers are. If they are businesses they'll not care either way.

Network events are worth looking at, like 4N, though they can have membership costs.
          My apologies, it's small businesses as the customer.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers -

Just to say all thanks for the pointers in the right direction should we say - joined the Chamber of Commerce - I think its just damm hard work and perciverience thast will pull it off in the end! No one seems to trust anyone so building a customer basis is key and word of mouth.

Any tips on how to approach new businesses is key, we can all advertise in papers - however from experience so far a waste of money.

Flyers maybe through there doors email bullitins etc - any ideas appreciated.

thanks all

Onwards and Upwards

J

Comment

Originally posted by jaller79 View Post
              Just to say all thanks for the pointers in the right direction should we say - joined the Chamber of Commerce - I think its just damm hard work and perciverience thast will pull it off in the end! No one seems to trust anyone so building a customer basis is key and word of mouth.

Any tips on how to approach new businesses is key, we can all advertise in papers - however from experience so far a waste of money.

Flyers maybe through there doors email bullitins etc - any ideas appreciated.

thanks all

Onwards and Upwards

J
              Offer to do a presentation at your local CoC meeting on your area of business along the lines of "The Pros and Cons of Widget Support", or whatever it is that you provide to businesses.

Go to Business Link and offer to do the same there.

And the WI. And the Rotary club.

Make it entertaining enough and you'll start getting requests.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

There are literally hundreds of IT support SME's already offering these services - its a very competitive market. My advice would be to leave your options open, you need to secure annual contracts which guarantees you revenue for at least a year going forward or find a niche in the market.

Comment

Working...
                X