• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a PM role in Banking and all my past experience is Public Sector, can't believe my luck.

However I don't think the PS is dead and buried, they can't hire new staff and they are letting the dead wood go so projects will have to be run by contractors - I expect the days of rolling a contract over are gone, it will be in and out

Comment

Originally posted by marple View Post
      I just got a PM role in Banking and all my past experience is Public Sector, can't believe my luck.

However I don't think the PS is dead and buried, they can't hire new staff and they are letting the dead wood go so projects will have to be run by contractors - I expect the days of rolling a contract over are gone, it will be in and out
      congrats on that gig

banks must have widened their net, they have been recruiting like crazy

Comment

Some tips in here might be helpful in relation to earlier posts How IT contractors go from public to private

Comment

I've just left a permmie job in the Public Sector after seeing them decimate the contractors, there are a lot of very unhappy people and I expect a lot more permmies to make the jump (not necassarily to Contracting) but the void will need to be filled somehow and short term, more reasonable contracts will still be there.

On a similar tact, how would I down play the PS part of my CV that has been my sole line of work for the last 10 years
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The Guardian covered this topic (public sector workers) recently.

Comment

Must have been a surprise that the public sector was going to dry up eh? I mean it's not as if they have been talking about massive cuts for the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I've just left a permmie job in the Public Sector after seeing them decimate the contractors, there are a lot of very unhappy people and I expect a lot more permmies to make the jump (not necassarily to Contracting) but the void will need to be filled somehow and short term, more reasonable contracts will still be there.

On a similar tact, how would I down play the PS part of my CV that has been my sole line of work for the last 10 years
                Why would anyone leave a public sector job? Sit tight and wait for the inflated pay off shirley?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                  Must have been a surprise that the public sector was going to dry up eh?
                  If only it'd been so obvious to you that, just like public sector work, your fuel tank was going to dry up too.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Why would anyone leave a public sector job? Sit tight and wait for the inflated pay off shirley?
                    I had to leave as I was moving from Exeter back to Leeds

(and don't call me Shirley)
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X