• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Question

CV Question - I’ve been Test Manager for +10 years but my most recent role has been as BA. I took the role out of desperation for work and have been in the contract for a year. I now need to move on, so I’m looking for another Test Manager role, however I have had several agents very concerned about my BA work. I’ve explained that I’ve had 10 years experience in Test Management but they seem quite focused on the most current role with one agent today even saying that it’s taken me out of the TM market. Should I take it out of my CV? I can’t exactly change the title of the role, although I’ve added words around UAT planning etc. If I take it out, then it looks like I’ve been out of work for a year which could also be detrimental. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Originally posted by Belle View Post
    CV Question - I’ve been Test Manager for +10 years but my most recent role has been as BA. I took the role out of desperation for work and have been in the contract for a year. I now need to move on, so I’m looking for another Test Manager role, however I have had several agents very concerned about my BA work. I’ve explained that I’ve had 10 years experience in Test Management but they seem quite focused on the most current role with one agent today even saying that it’s taken me out of the TM market. Should I take it out of my CV? I can’t exactly change the title of the role, although I’ve added words around UAT planning etc. If I take it out, then it looks like I’ve been out of work for a year which could also be detrimental. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Change the wording on the Cv to read as a TM role including analysis of business processes and requirements to be mapped to test conditions
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Change the wording on the Cv to read as a TM role including analysis of business processes and requirements to be mapped to test conditions
      Might be difficult to account for when references are taken up.
      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Actually, on a serious note about references, I've been contracting since '94 and know for a fact that I've only ever had ONE reference taken up and that was just a quick phone call. Have never had to provide references for any contracts (and I've had a few) other than the one mentioned above. Is that common ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

It's more common these days for references to be taken up legitimately - I had mine checked on my last contract.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            It's more common these days for references to be taken up legitimately - I had mine checked on my last contract.
            You would check your references

Funny that this comes up right next to the question about adding adhoc support to a CV. This is a good example why not to add them in as the agents get far too stuck on your last role.

Do you have dates on your positions? Can you take them off and drop the BA role altogether? Would a 3 month gap be worse than it is now?

Is it always assumed experience is listed chronologically? Could you take all dates off, put the best one first and then let them investigate the dates rather than you offer them? Explain your experienced is based on the most useful roles first?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 2 September 2010, 16:58.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You would check your references

Funny that this comes up right next to the question about adding adhoc support to a CV. This is a good example why not to add them in as the agents get far too stuck on your last role.

Do you have dates on your positions? Can you take them off and drop the BA role altogether? Would a 3 month gap be worse than it is now?

Is it always assumed experience is listed chronologically? Could you take all dates off, put the best one first and then let them investigate the dates rather than you offer them? Explain your experienced is based on the most useful roles first?
              Thanks for all the suggestions. May try and rejig the CV around a wee bit and see if that works. I thought more project experience even on the BA end would be a good thing but obviously not!

Comment

Originally posted by Belle View Post
                Thanks for all the suggestions. May try and rejig the CV around a wee bit and see if that works. I thought more project experience even on the BA end would be a good thing but obviously not!
                You have to remember most agents are unable to read CVs properly as they don't know what they are reading.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Same here, last three in fact.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                  X