• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract notice

Friends
    I got an offer recently from an agency and it is sc cleared one bt as far as notice is concerned.The agency says that they can give 2 weeks notice to me but I cannot give notice at all..is this normal for sc based contracts?

thanks

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
    Friends
    I got an offer recently from an agency and it is sc cleared one bt as far as notice is concerned.The agency says that they can give 2 weeks notice to me but I cannot give notice at all..is this normal for sc based contracts?
    It's fairly normal for a lot of contracts, SC or not.

My current contract is 1 weeks notice for the agent and none on my side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      It's fairly normal for a lot of contracts, SC or not.

My current contract is 1 weeks notice for the agent and none on my side.
      Thanks for clarifying this..
      did this affect you any way ..how to manage to get out of contract just in case if I didn't like something?
      also does it mean the contract is out of ir35 as it forces the contractor out due to business reasons ..

Comment

You can't get out of it, unless you breach the contract.

So you need to be sure you can last the length of the contract. But if it's only a 3 month contract it's not such a problem.

As for IR35, it's an indicator but on it's own it doesn't make the contract 'out' of IR35.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If your contract has a right of substitution clause and you can find someone with SC clearance who can do the contract then that's the only way you can get out of it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
            Thanks for clarifying this..
            did this affect you any way ..how to manage to get out of contract just in case if I didn't like something?
            No, it didn't bother me. If I didn't like something I'd just stick it out until the end date and then get something else/take a break.

Comment

If you really want a notice period, it's often quite easy to get the agency to put one in.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                If you really want a notice period, it's often quite easy to get the agency to put one in.
                Don't agree. It is easy to get one put in from teh clients end to give you weeks/months etc as they know it is pointless. If they want you out they will just tell you there is no work to pay you to do so you can't come in. Stay like that for the period of the notice and hey presto you are gone.

I guess it is purely situational but I haven't come across a contract yet where the agent would be moved to put notice period in that suited me beyond that offered to be honest.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree with northernladuk. However, if you do get into a difficult situation you'll probably be able to negotiate a dignified exit.
                  Don't worry about it.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                  X