• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday 2 weeks after contract start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday 2 weeks after contract start

Going for a second interview tomorrow ...when do you raise that you want a week off for a summer holiday 2 weeks after the proposed start of a contract?

After you start the contract? Or during the contract negotiations with the agent? Or during the second interview? It’s not a deal breaker of course, but it would be nice, or would it be too cheeky to even raise it?

The process I would follow would be...

1) Cancel holiday if possible. 2 weeks after start date isn't good on any level. I wouldn't lose money over it though

2) Advise the agency when the job has been offered. At the moment you are going for interviews with no commitment from either side so is none of their business

3) When job offer comes through tell them. I would not sign a contract and say tough I have signed as they may just give me notice and get very crappy. It would be a very tough client that would bin you in the first two weeks, especially it is still in ramping time. Time has been spent discussing you, making choice, offering you role. They have to start again to offer the role to the second best person just for the sake of an early week. Not worth anyones time in my opinion.

You forget to mention if it is one week or two weeks. Holidays so early on are very bad form I believe, particularly if it is on urgent job etc so avoid if possible otherwise be honest. Clients and agents take hols as well so am sure they will understand to some greater or lesser extent.
    They are also human beings so being screwed over by you signing the contract and then dropping this on them is not good form IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Pretty much everyone has at least a week off over the Summer. Most offices work on half staff over that time. I'd be amazed if they acted all shocked if you just mentioned during the "friendly bit" of an interview that you've "had a week's break booked for a while now and presume that's not going to be an issue?" And if they do say no to a pre-booked Summer holiday... do you really want to go and work there??

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You forget to mention if it is one week or two weeks.
        What, apart from the bit where he says, "a week", you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          What, apart from the bit where he says, "a week", you mean?
          Bah... I am such a failure and embarrassment to my family
          Last edited by northernladuk; 6 July 2010, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You forget to mention if it is one week or two weeks.
            Only one week holiday and the contract should be a long one 12+ months.

Comment

Ahh well not an urgent project, middle of silly season for just a week will be no probs. I still say I wouldn't mention it unless required. From what I remember most of my agents asked me about holidays at offer time anyway.

Comment

Same Situation

I was in the same boat. Asked that I be allowed to stick to my prebooked plan of a 2 week holiday 3 weeks after start of contract. Client refused outright as that would be the time when the outgoing permie would need to transition to me. I was told that the holiday would be a deal breaker.

I must shamefully admit that I backed off. No point messing up a long contract on these issues in the current climate.

You could try after signing the contract.

Comment

If that helps, I recently informed one of my clients that I would be taking two weeks time off (which I actually have booked before the contract started) they were fine with it.
                  Due to scope creep (which I fought and explained etc) the product launch slipped ca two month to coincide with my time away.
                  I offered to a)limit the scope again and/or b)provide a substitute for my time away or to finish after I'm back, they didn't want a) or b).
                  When I was back from vacation, my contract was terminated on my first day in the office.
                  I was told my vacation had nothing to do with it, the unfinished product did, which on my end is a load of BS, isn't it?
                  Last edited by xchaotic; 7 July 2010, 04:23. Reason: clarity

Comment

I told this contract during the interview. This time they were fine about it, the last time it happened it was a deal breaker so I dropped the holiday.

It depends on how hard they push back and how much you need the holiday/contract.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X