• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6 month contract Netherlands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 month contract Netherlands

Hi All

I have been reading through various threads on here regarding contracting in Holland. However I am still unsure whether it is actually worth it.

I have been offered a role of 500 euro's a day in Amsterdam, would it be worth doing considering travel, hotel etc.

Do I have to go into the dutch tax system? Been reading quite a bit about this but still unsure.

I have contracted in Belgium and that was fine but was through a large military org.

Thanks

Originally posted by dave_m13 View Post
    Hi All

I have been reading through various threads on here regarding contracting in Holland. However I am still unsure whether it is actually worth it.

I have been offered a role of 500 euro's a day in Amsterdam, would it be worth doing considering travel, hotel etc.

Do I have to go into the dutch tax system? Been reading quite a bit about this but still unsure.

I have contracted in Belgium and that was fine but was through a large military org.

Thanks
    Need to do a bit of reading up on the financial markets as well IMO. Euro is going wrong way for you at the moment. Slowly and haphazardly but still going the wrong way. You could easily see 10% dropping off your rate in the next 3-6 months.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What's the minimum you'd need to end up with after tax/expenses to take the role? Without that number, everything else is a pointless question.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hi All

Thanks
        If your agency or Client allows you to avoid the dutch tax system then yes
        Otherwise no.

Based on 20 days

€500 day equals about €6700 using ManCo + 30 % ruling
        Deduct Private required min Insurance €100
        Deduct your actual incurred expenses €2100 ( Could be less depends on your lifeslyle)
        Actual Contract Profit €4500 @1.20 about £3750

Compare this with what you could earn using your UK set up +
        Do you want the experience of working in Holand and will this contract add value to your skill set?
        Last edited by Brussels Slumdog; 6 July 2010, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
          If your agency or Client allows you to avoid the dutch tax system then yes
          Otherwise no.

Based on 20 days

€500 day equals about €6700 using ManCo + 30 % ruling
          Deduct Private required min Insurance €100
          Deduct your actual incurred expenses €2100 ( Could be less depends on your lifeslyle)
          Actual Contract Profit €4500 @1.20 about £3750

Compare this with what you could earn using your UK set up +
          Do you want the experience of working in Holand and will this contract add value to your skill set?
          Doing the contract will add value to my skill set, its probably the only reason I would do it.

I was probably taking home more on a lower than normal rate of £250 day, looking at your figures above.

I am actually perm at the moment, due to there being no contracts about. If that is profit after tax, expenses etc. I will be taking home about £1000 more than what I am perm and then I will be away from home. Do I want to do this probably not, will have to think about it seriously.

Then there is the exchange fluctuation, which I believe the pound will get stronger, so will lose out on this.

How would would the client/agency allow me to avoid the tax system and use my Ltd company, is it possible?

Comment

Doing the contract will add value to my skill set, its probably the only reason I would do it.

Then there is the exchange fluctuation, which I believe the pound will get stronger, so will lose out on this.

How would would the client/agency allow me to avoid the tax system and use my Ltd company, is it possible?
            The pound is 1.205 to day but was 1.23 last week so it could become weaker.
            No client/agency allow you to avoid the tax system as they will be held liable for your unpaid tax in the Netherlands. The Dutch Tax authorities will go after the Client for unpaid taxes and not you.
            Therefore in the Nertherlands you will not be able to use your foreign Company

Comment

Perm and contracting

[QUOTE=dave_m13;1165053]
              I was probably taking home more on a lower than normal rate of £250 day, looking at your figures above.

I am actually perm at the moment, due to there being no contracts about. If that is profit after tax, expenses etc. I will be taking home about £1000 more than what I am perm and then I will be away from home. Do I want to do this probably not, will have to think about it seriously.

QUOTE]

If you are thinking of switching from Perm to Contract you will most likely always incur expenses.
              Yes your biggest risk is that you will always be away from home.

Compare Apples with Apples.
              Compare London to Birmingham or where you live to somehere else in the Uk to
              where you live to Amsterdam.

Comment

Hi All

Thanks
                Yes & Yes

My only regret is not renewing after a year and returning to the UK; was on a little more than that but the exchange rate has moved since then to make it about the same.
                B00med!

Comment

Working...
                X