• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies - Do they have any regulatory body?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies - Do they have any regulatory body?

Is their an ombudsman for these bandits?

Not all are bad, I know - but - I am sick of dealing with wide-boys.

Is their an ombudsman, or an Offxxx, or something like that if not then someone needs to draw up agreed standards and give them a charter to follow.

in fact can you fill in the blank off???????

Originally posted by ContractorNW View Post

Is their an ombudsman, or an Offxxx, or something like that if not then someone needs to draw up agreed standards and give them a charter to follow.
    Even if there was they can't do anything about 'wideboys'. Its not illegal or bad practice so pointless really
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

in fact can you fill in the blank off???????
      There is no ombudsman or regulator that I'm aware of but they are subject to a number of laws.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm surprised at you guys not mentioning the REC.

The Recruitment & Employment Confederation has reputable agencies as members. You complain to them if the agency cocks up.

Don't go with an agency that's not a member.

It's not legislative and I'm not sure how useful it is but it's someone to whom you can complain if you have a problem.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

There is no Ombudsman or regulator as such for agencies but they are subject to the Employment Agencies Act 1973 and related legislation which is enforced by the Department for Business Innovation and Skills which will follow up complaints involving possible breaches of any relevant rules and regulations (although they do not have any jurisdiction in contractual disputes as such).I used it once and the outcome was satisfactory.

You can google them at UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills | BIS | BIS

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I'm surprised at you guys not mentioning the REC.

The Recruitment & Employment Confederation has reputable agencies as members. You complain to them if the agency cocks up.

Don't go with an agency that's not a member.

It's not legislative and I'm not sure how useful it is but it's someone to whom you can complain if you have a problem.
            It's quite a big deal amongst us to be honest - The REC is the only "genuine" way we have of saying "we're not complete cowboys" - A complain to the REC is taken very seriously (in my experience at least) as nobody wants to lose their REC status.

As previously mentioned though - it's not illegal to be a wide boy, its also not illegal to pass over your details without response if you're not good enough for the roles you're applying for, or belong in PermieDom. It's poor form, and crap marketing, but in no way is it illegal.

And remember - for every wide boy recruiter, there are 30 cowboy contractors.

"Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

REC

However as the evidence is purely their word against yours in most cases then I don't think you will get very far.

If you have a third party involved to back you up or something in writing you may get somewhere.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 22 July 2010, 11:47.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Agreed, the REC and APSCO are a joke and whilst they 'field' your complaint, short of you catching out the agency in writing basically LYING, or recording their phone call where they promised you the earth and delivered naff all, the REC and APSCO are about as useful as a wooden frying pan or an ash tray on a motor cycle.......

All they do is have cosy cuddle ups with their members and send out communications to them on 'industry trends' and all that gaff. But they don't do any serious investigation on complaints that lead to a result for the contractor. Why would they ??? The agencies fund their existence !!!!

Just because an agent is a member of REC or APSCO doesn't mean they are any better or worse than anyone else.

You are better of complaining to Trading Standards or someone who has some teeth, not either of those lot......

Comment

Working...
                X